Minimizing wing wobble

Are they any nifty tricks and tips in order to minimize wing wobble with the race clip and carbon wing?

In order to allow the stantions to pivot back I glued 5 (on each side) nylon washers between the diffuser and the stantions. Then I ran a diagonal cross brace on each side of the stantions, from the top of left to the bottom of the right, and vice versa. We also added a horizontal cross bar half-way up the stantions for extra support and as a license plate holder.

Stantions are bolted to the diffuser (and gapped with the nylon washers) with 3/8'' bolts.

I'm not quite sure what else i can do to minimize wing wobble because I still get a fair bit - the diffuser really likes to transmit vibration. E.g., with the engine off if i bounce the car's suspension it transmits into a little bit of wing wobble. If I smack the diffuser with my hand, a little bit of wing wobble.

The wing itself is solidly bolted to the stantions, but the vibrations from the engine and any bouncing on the road makes it wiggle a bit.

I tried removing the nylon washers between the diffuser and the stantions and replacing them with a 3/16'' rubber pad. That made the wing wobble A LOT worse....I was hoping the rubber would dampen the vibration, but it didn't ... it seems the best way to minimize it is just to space the stantions off the diffuser, not to try to clam them solidly together.

Out of ideas?

edit: Mine's braced the same way as Cam's, except my diagonal cross bars are mounted a bit lower than his.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/322428-post263.html

Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Alex ...check out the pic of the rear of the LMP on the superlite facebook page...

Only one small brace is needed...but it has to be done correctly.

If you watch race cars with rear wings on TV you will see them move and quiver...even F1 cars...once you have some air pressure on the wing the airflow will stop it moving once its loaded with aero drag/downforce.

I don't mind it quivering a bit, and at speed it does seem to stabilize (hard to stick my head out hte window and stay straight on the road, lol), I just worry that the quivering will cause it to crack overtime? Or perhaps that idea's unfounded because the whole body vibrates when you touch it and the body won't crack and fall apart in time, lol

I decided to throw in the towel with 1 brace. Maybe I have some exhaust harmonics issue going on, I dunno, but with only 1 brace (factory located) the spoiler would wobble like crazy at idle, between 20-30mph flatten out, above 40mph it would start wobbling a mile a minute (by wobble I mean movement of like 1'' ... maybe its normal with F1 cars, but it ruined all my drives because I could just see the spoiler cracking in time). The culprit was definately the uprights - whether idle or driving I could phsyically see the top portion of the uprights spasming (i.e., my eye could see them moving violently above the bent area ), causing the wing to wobble.

So I had my friend teach it a lesson. I can haz no more wobble now? :)

wing_brace2_zpsadf8e7f6.jpg

Ain't gonna move no more, no more, it ain't gonna move no more..............

Too bad you don't have the spyder.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Alex its more likely to shatter than move and survive even the smallest impact...just my experience , yours will obviously never break if you only drive at 40mph unless you hit a moose up there...

We have thousands of miles on our carbon race wing and its not shown any signs of breaking , and ours flexes just like the production ones do...only damage has occurred when a wall has run out in front of the wing and the wing has no choice but to hit it...

Just an idea...wing "caps" tend to stabilize the flow over the wing and this might lessen the wobble. They also tend to improve downforce at the tips where flow can otherwise spill off the end and create turbulence rather than consistent low pressure. If you don't have caps you might given them a try.

Now add the spiderman logo, and your set...

Attachments

• Spiderman-Logo-20101231.jpg
    Spiderman-Logo-20101231.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 214
Was hanging out with builder of the Diasio's and he said they fought wing wobble quite a bit too. After speed reached, things stabilized quite well.

Problem isn't with the wing stantions. Alex just needs to drive faster.

Honestly, that is one HECK of a brace. Nice skills and craftsmanship if not the lightest ;)

Back