Isle of Man TT -- Cool video

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Home sweet home....

how about on one of these [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLfv3y_AaTI]2013 Isle Of Man TT " 1st Side Car Race " - YouTube[/ame]

IMO, these guys are the real McCoy when it comes to racing and again IMO every other racer on the planet has to tip their hat to these blokes. I love speed but this is one event I would never try in a car never mind on a bike. I marvel at their intestinal fortitude and as said above BALLS OF STEEL. Remarkable to watch. This has become a "bucket list" must do for me now......watching not riding!

IMO, these guys are the real McCoy when it comes to racing and again IMO every other racer on the planet has to tip their hat to these blokes. I love speed but this is one event I would never try in a car never mind on a bike. I marvel at their intestinal fortitude and as said above BALLS OF STEEL. Remarkable to watch. This has become a "bucket list" must do for me now......watching not riding!

All of that.:laugh: These boys are not wired up in the same way .

Bob

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Give this a try........but only on video.

That's A Man's Corner

Cheers
Mike

When watching the vid from approx. 4:20 thru the 5:20 mark, it's hard to miss the dire risk to life and limb a race like this represents. At those speeds - especially on narrow tree-lined roads - one obviously hasn't a p-r-a-y-e-r of maneuvering around/avoiding anything that suddenly appears on the roadway ahead. None. Zero. Nada. 'Not going to happen.

And then there's the sudden 'blowout' scenario...

No thanks...

Mike Pass

Supporter
I used to watch Mike Hailwood and Giacomo Agostini on the Honda and MVs back in the sixties when the roads were a lot bumpier than now. It is pretty bad when things go wrong. this video gives some idea. Local hero Connor Cummins loses it at about 160mph at the veranda. He was very badly injured but came back to race again last year and this year.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhem48fnP1c]Conor Cummins TT 2010 crash of cliff - YouTube[/ame]

I did about 100mph+ at the same corner (no speed limit over the mountain) in the 40 a couple of years back and that got my attention. The bikes can take easier lines but even so...

The one that impressed me most was Bill Ivy who did the first 100mph lap from a standing start on a 125cc bike back in the 60s. I watched him at quarry bends - unbelievable as he nearly lost it and went into the gutter - but never backed off!

Cheers
Mike

Seriously addictive watching that stuff. As someone who'd ridden bikes for over 30 years I used to be quite sad that I didn't have that level of talent or bravery/lack of self preservation (delete where appropriate). These days I'm quite relieved I don't! :D

We (er humm, they) still road race here in Northern Ireland, years ago they made a film called 'between the hedges' with loads of on-board footage, have a look:-

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVy4xLLiTMI]Between the Hedges Trailer - Out on DVD 12th May - YouTube[/ame]

Unfortunately Robert Dunlop was killed racing, like his legend bother Joey, the 26 times winner at the IoM TT.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Chris,
Yes - still got the car. It was out of favour for a while after the bastard let me down on the way to last year's Le Mans Classic. Also been a bit ill as well.
However I have given it a Monty Python style thrashing and fixed the problem which left me stranded at 1 o clock in the morning on a rainy motorway. Turned out to be broken ballast resistor. All now running again so out again soon.
See you soon .
Cheers
Mike

Hi Chris,
Yes - still got the car. It was out of favour for a while after the bastard let me down on the way to last year's Le Mans Classic. Also been a bit ill as well.
However I have given it a Monty Python style thrashing and fixed the problem which left me stranded at 1 o clock in the morning on a rainy motorway. Turned out to be broken ballast resistor. All now running again so out again soon.
See you soon .
Cheers
Mike

glad to hear that you are back running mike. posted a couple of links myself tonight to some new pics.
regards
chris
ps has martin still got his car?

Mike Pass

Supporter
Yes. Martin still has the car. He melted a piston on a max speed run due to inadequate fuel supply. Now fixed but he is working on two more builds. A piper GTT for historic racing and a replica Porsche 908. See you soon I hope. I still haven't had a ride in your T70.
Cheers
Mike

Yes. Martin still has the car. He melted a piston on a max speed run due to inadequate fuel supply. Now fixed but he is working on two more builds. A piper GTT for historic racing and a replica Porsche 908. See you soon I hope. I still haven't had a ride in your T70.
Cheers
Mike

provisionally 22nd sept at Blyton, you'd be very welcome to a ride round if you can make it. a few other GD owners are going. if you are on facebook we have a Club GD page now.

Back