Stillborn flat crank V8 project....

So my flat crank SBF project has been in limbo for almost two years now. My custom engine builder and machinist in Seattle here decided to retire in the middle of the project....and uproot himself and sell his equipment almost immediately after I made the second progress payment. I eventually did get a crank out of him based upon some specs I had designed - very similar to an f-car flat crank but with throws appropriate for a SBF. The crank needs some finish work here and there (journals need to be polished etc.) but it's basically all there. I don't have a cam for it (that was the next phase with the builder).

Not that I have any time for this at this point in my life.....

There's an old f-car mondial8 sitting here in Seattle - it's the most forlorn f-car you've ever seen. The mondial8 is the dog of 80's ferraris...probably the least favored ferrari ever built. Period. It's not a bad looking design though. This one has a blown engine - RH/forward timing belt broke and imploded the engine. Given that it needs an engine, this car can be had for almost free. Probably around $5K.

Here's the thought: build a total sleeper f-car. The flat crank SBF V8 would be kind of appropriate given that the original engine (3.0 litre) was a flat crank. The Mondial is a stretched 308 basically so it has the wheel base and dimensioning to accept a longitudinal SBF and a 930/ZF (might have to take out the back seat...). Use the original wheels and leave everything stock from an visual stand point. Put in some better shocks, brembos, poly bushings, etc. If the SBF could get to 400hp/tq then it should be as fast as a 355.....in a straight line at least.....maybe faster.

It would be a fun track day to see an old dog mondial8 passing 348/355's on the straight away. Yeehaww!! Plus, it's always entertaining to offend the q-tip cleaning f-car snoots...and nothing does that better than a bastardized f-car with a good old American V8.

Man, that would be fun. There's no way I have the time for a project like that right now though....OK, back to reality. Maybe when I retire.

Last edited:
Wow. That's cool.
I had looked into the same concept with a Chevy LS motor a few years back. Sonny Bryant would have made a billet crank for $4500. I think I spoke with WEB cams about the special lobe layout.
I gave up and bought a 348 motor for my project.

Good luck and please keep going. I would love to see someone finish something like this.

Reed H

Back