Tiltton pedal question?

We tried installing the the Tilton pedal assembly but am having a difficult time understanding how the GM throttle linkage adapts to the Tilton? I looked at several pictures on builders sites on the forum but it seems that everyone has a different approach and I'm trying to figure out which is the easiest and best. If anyone cares to chime in....your input will certainly be welcome :huh:
Jim (build #145)

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a picture of my home made adapter.

The arc of the tilton pedal matches the arc of my Corvette pedal sensor. This gives it a one to one ratio.

Measure the distance from the tilton pedal pivot point to where the linkage is mounted (bolted on). Then try and replicate this distance on the drive by wire pedal assembly.

I also installed a clutch start switch and cruise control disengage switch on the clutch pedal. My brake pedal also has a rotary type of sensor needed for the Corvette wiring architecture.

Last edited:
The bracket bolts onto the pedal assembly using the two small bosses on the pedals and the two small holes in the bracket.

The bracket is a great way to mount the ETC but does force the pedals back a bit. If you are trying to maximize leg room, try mounting the bracket (and ETC) on the front of the chassis, rotated 90 degrees. You'll need to make an extension but that also allows you to get the max pedal travel. I did it that way and like it.

I'd post pics but am away from my computer...

Here's a couple pictures also for reference. The 1st two are mine, the 3rd one I believe is Bill's.

Attachments

• throttle 1.jpg
    throttle 1.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 2,244
  • throttle bracket2.jpg
    throttle bracket2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 669
  • pedal-accelerator hookup-bill.jpg
    pedal-accelerator hookup-bill.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 666
Thanks guys, this is my project for this week and you certainly provided me with a verity of idea's.:idea:
Jim (build #145)

Here are some pictures of my setup. I found that the factory supplied bracket had quite a bit of flex in it; I could move the pedal in and out and see the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) moving while its arm was stationary.

I was concerned that this would give some unpleasant driving characteristics; easing slightly up or down on the throttle from a given setting might initially do nothing, then yield a larger response with further movement.

As supplied, the bracket has a doubler at 90 degrees to the direction of pedal travel, but what is really needed is a doubler that stiffens things up in the same direction as the pedal travel.

To do this, I compromised and welded a 1/8" flat steel bar at an angle across the bottom of the bracket, butting up against the Tilton pedal assembly. This has removed virtually all of the flex in the bracket.

Also, as supplied, the pedal travel is only about 0.75" from idle to full throttle, due to the short throw on the GM ETC. Per Fran's suggestion, I added a vertical plate to the arm of the ETC with the dimensions as shown in the pictures. This provides about 2.5" of pedal travel, allowing the set screws on the Tilton pedal assembly to be used as stops.

Some of the pictures were taken while things were temporarily held together; I'm missing the penny washer to trap the rod end and was using regular nuts instead of self locking ones.

Attachments

• DSC05616.jpg
    DSC05616.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC05618.jpg
    DSC05618.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 401
  • DSC05630.jpg
    DSC05630.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 595
  • DSC05631.jpg
    DSC05631.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 514
I also beefed up and modified the RCR bracket. I rotated the throttle sensor so the arm is parallel with the Tilton pedal arm. I then played with the pedal and sensor arm length to match their movement, so they both max out at the same point. There is a hefty return spring on the sensor, so I removed the spring on the Tilton pedal.

The result is a linear progression, good pedal control and a good pedal feel as well. Rotating the sensor also allows the pedal assy to be pushed further forward into the footwell.

Note: This is a stock 2010 Corvette throttle sensor, which is a little different that the GM Performance sensor.

Attachments

• IMG_3223.jpg
    IMG_3223.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 529
Back