McLaren 50 Years Old Today

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Local radio has just mentioned that 50 years Ago today (02/09/0963) Bruce McLaren registered his company to build cars

Good timing, my son gave me a copy of 'Bruce McLarens Scrap Book' for dads day on sunday, having a quick read thru of some of the handwritten notes in the book I realised several pertained to the testing Bruce did on the GT40 & MKIV cars. Looks like the lower front wishbones went thru a fairly major rethink early on, quite a lot of interesting stuff, would love to read all of his thoughts, must get up to the Trust at some stage and spend a couple of days there.

I have the same book, along with everything else I can find on McLaren pre 1975. There is some great reading in it JacMac and I'm sure you will love working through it and the memories that will no doubt come back to you. I'm still plugging away at the T/A. in fact I'm heading to my workshop after lunch. Any more progress with yours.
Cheers Leon.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I remember seeing Bruce drive the first squared off M1, it was black with 8 single exhausts, pointend up through the rear deck. People were saying he made it himself, I thought that was so cool! The next time I saw him, he had the red M1As and then he and Amon with the beautiful red M1Bs.........

I admired and followed him from then on. I know he had great plans for McLaren, Le Mans cars and even a road car............

But I can't help but think if Bruce returned today, he would be flabbergasted at McLaren and the incredable record of wins. I'm sure that in his wildest dreams he could not have imagined today's McLaren.

20 World Championships
182 Grand Prix wins
155 Polls
3 Indy 500 Wins
1st Overall Le Mans

Happy Birthday to my favorite team,

Happy 50th, McLaren!

Last edited:

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Bruce McLaren: Racing Car Constructor, by George Begg is not a bad read either.

I'm still plugging away at the T/A. in fact I'm heading to my workshop after lunch. Any more progress with yours.
Cheers Leon.

Nothing, I have vowed to clear the W/Shop of customer stuff before I start casting stuff, so the patterns are sitting on top of the Daytona buck gathering dust, but as I have to walk past them every morning I get a reminder:)...

Back