Ronnie Spain photo of P/1046

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I was going through Ronnie's first book and found an interesting photo, with something I had not noticed before.

On page 78 there is a photo of P/1046 (the McLaren, Amon car), labled "The engine bay of the winning car".

The photo shows the rear sway bar to be mounted unlike any other I remember. The photo it kind of dark, but it looks like a custom bracket moving the sway bar up and to the rear and it sure looks like the sway bar goes between the upper and lower header collecters.

Has anyone seen this layout before?

While we are on the subject, I can't wait for Ronnies new book, has anyone heard anything about an ETA?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Here is an other interesting photo I found of a "Mustang", remind you of anything?

Mustang-GT44web.jpg

I just love this, I wonder if its available as a poster?

2013-06-10-GT406x9F.jpg

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Well while looking for the photo of P/1046, I found this photo of another team car, in this much clearer photo the sway bar is silver and it can be seen going below the headers, My bad!

Any Idea what this is?

ss6.JPG

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Is it my poor eyesight or do the headers on 1046 look larger than normal? Maybe thats why it is under them.

Here is a picture of one of the orginal cars, Mike Drew took these photo's at Road America years back.

The van video is a hoot. :)

Attachments

• 89.jpg
    89.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 495
  • 93.jpg
    93.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 441
  • 94.jpg
    94.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 447
  • 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Is it my poor eyesight or do the headers on 1046 look larger than normal? Maybe thats why it is under them.

Here is a picture of one of the orginal cars, Mike Drew took these photo's at Road America years back.

The van video is a hoot. :)

The MK II setup is different form the MK I bars. I have some MK II pictures somewhere that I will look for and post.

Exactly. Remember, 1046 is a Mk II, which had a 427 instead of a 289. The engine is physically bigger and taller, and the added displacement demands increased exhaust pipe size. That combination of needs crowded out room for the swaybar, so they had to route it underneath instead of above as on the 289/302-powered cars.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I'm looking at the engine in the Supervan....

This is obviously an older project. Looking at the photo, That sure looks like the standard GT40 set up. The motor, exhaust, shock mounts and upper transaxle cross member look stock GT40.

So my question is, did they really cut up an original chassis to make this van?

Back in 1995. we went to the British Grand Prix (Johnny Herbert won), I remember before the race, they ran a few laps with a "van" powered by a Renault V10 F1 drivetrain.

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I'm looking at the engine in the Supervan....

This is obviously an older project. Looking at the photo, That sure looks like the standard GT40 set up. The motor, exhaust, shock mounts and upper transaxle cross member look stock GT40.

So my question is, did they really cut up an original chassis to make this van?

Back in 1995. we went to the British Grand Prix (Johnny Herbert won), I remember before the race, they ran a few laps with a "van" powered by a Renault V10 F1 drivetrain.

No,

They used a formula car for the base and the powertrain was fashioned after a GT40.

No GT40s were harmed in the making of this film................

the ford supervan 1 was made by Terry Drury , from Essex ,who raced GT40's in the 60s
he owned 1073 from new.
if you Google terry drury supervan 1 , you will get plenty of stories about the possible whereabouts of this very famous vehicle.
I have spoke to Terry about the van ( and his GT 40 experiences ) and he has no idea where it is .

Back