Help please from down under.

Help from auz please.This in for the tvr project. I have a genuine 4 bolt main 302 boss block here that has been bored 040 over and clearanced for a stroker crank. I also have a bryant forged 3.25" stroker crank and the chance of some 2v or 4v cleveland heads. Thats it!!. I would like to build it up as a mongrel boss lump but where do you get pistons,rods etc that suit this combo. As you down under have a 302 cleveland I thought it might be the place to start. Also 2v vs 4v heads ????????? What to do for best?

Bob

I am ok for rods as they will be standard 331 stroker rods but the problem is the pistons/head combination. Lots of piston choice for the 331w but nothing as yet for a 040" over forged piston that works for the 331 with a cleveland head. Clevor builders cut valve reliefs into a flat top piston and get away with it because the top piston ring is low enough in the piston, the stroker flat top pistons have the top ring higher up the piston so the same procedure cant be done. I thought as they still mess with the cleveland in aus there was a possibilty of something off the shelf. This is the original type boss block so it cant be bored the same as the modern boss block, 040 is about the max.

Bob

You could use the 5.315 rod, plenty of pistons for clevelands with ~1.250" pin heights available for some of the bigger stroker options on clevor/clevelands ( though going shorter on rod length will compromise your already compromised 4.040" bore size.)
If you use 'Yates' style nascar heads with altered valve guide placement the inlet valve pocket can be shallower & therefore allow shorter ~1.165 pin height & 5.400 rod. Ive had custom cleveland pistons made with 0.900" pin height & the top ring still 0.250" down so its not really an issue of 'you cant', but how much work/time/money your prepared to invest.
The OZ 302c heads are OK for street type applications but need a lot of work to fit windsor coolant flow plus changes to rocker pedestals, posts,chamber reshape, porting to make good power, CHI make a cast iron version of their 3v, that would be best option if it has to be cast iron..... after all that you still have to make a set of exhausts that are not going to kill all your new found HP when you try to fit it in the TVR, tough enough with windsor heads let alone cleveland design, oh & I nearly forgot, any decent intake manifold is going to shove the carb up thru the hood/bonnet, whatever you call it in jolly ol england .

Back