What trickery is this.

Why is it a "trickery" ? ( maybe I do not understand the real translation of this phrase using Google translation ?)

this man is doing a plug from separate parts done in 3D printing ?

I do not see anything abnormal ?
he is probably in love of this car and did or have avery accurate scale 3 D drawing from wich he is printing small parts due to the limited dimension of his 3D printing machine !!!
There are some others on the forum doing 3D drawings as well of GT40 but these are only on the screen; him is playing really with 3D fabrication !!!!!!

So this whole bodyshell plug will be painstakingly made up of these tiny squares? I presume it is then completely filled and painted to take a mold off. That must be thousands of hours of head scratching just for a bodyshell. A thing of beauty for sure, its more than I would have patience for.

Bob

3D-printed-aston-martin-DB4-replica-designboom-05.jpg

From what I understood in reading and watching the entire file seems that the guy used 2 different types of 3d printing ;
one for the front and rear bonnet using black printed sort of composite stuff that you can sand and bond ( white stripes on !) and also more white usual epoxy resin 3D printed parts ( these are much more fragile and can be used mostly as plugs )
In fact the process he is using is much more quick to give shapes than normal foam cutting and sanding , it is much more accurate and gives an perfect symetrical plug if well bonded one together
In addition as you can watch in opposite to a clay or 'Lab' plug, using 3D and precise drawings files you can on the same time have external shapes and also all internal complicated forms ; so if he intend to have it as it is like a show stuff he can take off the wood inside panels when done and paint it!!or if he want to take a mold he will have immediatly final parts in hand to laminate external molds as well as internal ones !!!!!
These pics are in line for a while it will be interesting to watch if he did much more and what is actually the status of this excellent project

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I can't even begin to imagine how much time, effort, 'savvy', patience, and dogged determination a project like this would demand. It'd be far more than I'd ever contemplate, let alone start. My hat is off to the man. ('As it still is to the gentleman on this board ['name escapes me right now] who hand built his own all-aluminum GT40.)

'Most impressive to say the least. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back