What Happened to the URC??

Can anybody tell me what ever happened to the proposed Can-Am revival that was to be called the URC (Unlimited Racing Championship).It was going to be a support class with the ALMS starting 2012. I have never seen anything on the ALMS website and the URC website looks like it hasn't changed since 2011. NUART Can-Am were supplying the identical spec cars that were a Modern version of the M8F (sort of makes it a Limited serries, but anyway) and according to the website at least 3-4 cars were already built and they had drivers lined up. So where are these cars?? they were only US$485,000 so I'm picking they haven't been flogged off on Ebay, any one know what happened?? cheers Leon.

Leon:

I think it never really got any traction. I had spoke with the guy who was building the cars once he had said they were going to run at CotA but never heard if they had.
IMHO spec cars are the scourge of racing. Rules need to allow engineering and innovation but alas TV time and supposed shortage of money seem to rule the rules.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
One of the cars turned up at Monterey Historics/Italiano Concorso in August, where I took this photo. I got talking to the guy that drove it in and even that recently he seemed pretty confident the series was still going ahead, it was actually the first I'd heard of it.

Julian

Attachments

• IMG_2352A.jpg
    IMG_2352A.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 267
IMHO i felt it would be a way for someone to sell a few very expensive "Replica's" and not at all in the spirit of true "Unlimited Class" racing. I don't doubt for a second that the cars are a great bit of gear and the racing could be very good but when you are "Limited" to one spec and more so one "Builder" that is the opposite of Unlimited. At the end of the day I hope it does take off because it will be great to see these cars driven in anger again.

Cheers Leon.

Last edited:
Back