Steering Column

This might be a dumb question, but can anyone tell me why the shaft in my steering column only rotates about 100 degrees? (i.e. the steering wheel itself would only rotate 100 degrees). It seems to be limited by the travel of the orange plastic thingy in a groove of the black plastic disc as shown in the photo. Should this orange plastic thingy be removed? I assume the steering wheel needs to turn much more than 100 degrees in order to get full rotation of the wheels.

This is the standard column supplied by RCR. I am trying to ensure that the shaft is in the middle of its travel before welding the knuckle to it.

As those who have gone before me already know, the instructions don't include any information about the mounting process for the steering column, so any tips about welding the knuckle or positioning the column under the dash are gratefully received.

Attachments

• column.jpg
    column.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 240
There is a small pin underneath the column that needs to be pulled out...it will have a small rubber cap on it...its a locking pin from GM

There is a huge range of adjustment for personal placement of the steering wheel.

Shortening the threaded sleeve and or the splined adapter will give you upto 2 inches more arm length room...

Position the steering wheel where you like it with the seat in place and you will see that there is room for adjustment....

I did pull the pin completely out in order to get to the 100 degrees. Before that, it would rotate only about 20 degrees.

However, there is a tab on the orange plastic thingy which seems to ride in a groove. Turning more than 100 degrees with the orange plastic thingy in place looks like it would break the tab on the outside edges of the groove (?)

By "100 degrees", I mean about 50 degrees either side of the "middle" (i.e. 1/4 turn).

Check that none of the shafts are protruding through the UJ's as they will also limit the steering as the shaft/ joints may be contacting each other...

As most don't use the OEM clockspring..(with the orange thingy) its not something I have noticed being a factor as once the orange thingy is removed the column rotates freely

Back