Anyone running a Griffin Transaxle in your SLC?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Why not go with the Graziano 6-speed for $10K?

As far as I've seen, the Griffin is vaporware.

Well the plus from the Griffin is I could run GM starter, clutch, flywheel... As far as price goes its a lot cheaper than the Graziano but if the quality in the Griffin is junk I wouldn't try to save money on that part of the build.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Maybe I'm missing something, but the price sheet you attached says $10995 for the six speed Griffin and doesn't inlcude clutch or starter. How is that cheaper than the Graziano?

Out of curiousity, what is the all-in cost to use a Granziano. Erik was saying on the other forums $21k, but that's with a recommended gearing change ($4k) and his profit margin built in (I'm going to guess $4k) .... about $13k all in?

Well the plus from the Griffin is I could run GM starter, clutch, flywheel... As far as price goes its a lot cheaper than the Graziano but if the quality in the Griffin is junk I wouldn't try to save money on that part of the build.

How about the negative being it doesn't exist?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
The only part for the Graziano that RCR doesn't carry is the ring gear (~$250 for Audi).

I just got my Mendeola, had to flip it over, changed the ring gear to the other side, OUTSTANDING support, I bought a S5D, sequential, but the main reason I choose Mendeola, is because of the gear ratio's.

I have a 4:88 in ring and pinion, at 8000 its 160 mph, .8 5th gear, 3:08 first gear, 160 is plenty fast for me. You can choose your gear ratio's also, I like acceleration and cornering more then wearing out a clutch trying to take off in first gear.

They have several trannys available, and Kennedy supplied me with everything I need for the starter, clutch, throwout, slave.

The 20 B is no torque monster.

My 2 cents

Mendeola Powertrain

I believe ArtGirl was going for one in her SL-C, not heard much information on them though which is a shame because they looked like a nice option and I liked how modular they are.

I believe ArtGirl was going for one in her SL-C, not heard much information on them though which is a shame because they looked like a nice option and I liked how modular they are.

I decided in March of 2012 to buy an SLC and gave Fran a deposit. I wanted to use a Griffin as the ratios were what I wanted for my choice of engine. They said the first units they would make would be sequentials and I liked that, so I said sign me up. They said my box would be done around July 1, 2012. They said it would be the third unit they would build. July came and went and then they said late August, then they said Thanksgiving, and then late December. This is 2012, remember.

By February 2013 or thereabouts my engine was done and I wasn't willing to base my project around a transmission that didn't exist yet, so I made other arrangements.

Griffin has not yet delivered a transaxle to anyone, to the best of my knowledge. I don't want to use the word vaporware, but I wasn't willing to wait indefinitely.

Maybe next year we'll all be singing a different tune.

JR

Griffin has not yet delivered a transaxle to anyone, to the best of my knowledge. I don't want to use the word vaporware, but I wasn't willing to wait indefinitely.

Maybe next year we'll all be singing a different tune.

Call a spade a spade. It's vaporware BS.

Call a spade a spade. It's vaporware BS.

Yep, I would not disagree. I don't buy 1st year, new product anything - anymore. I bought the 1st year ford 2005 6.0 diesel, talk about a mistake....

I first saw the SLC at the Carlisle kit show maybe 2007.... made a mental note and bought my kit in 2012.

Last edited:
Here is my Mendeola in the car with the motor. You can pick your ratio's and this is a production product.

Attachments

• DSCF0342.jpg
    DSCF0342.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 839
Here is my Mendeola in the car with the motor. You can pick your ratio's and this is a production product.

Errr... Unless I'm reading something wrong on Mendeola's website, you can "pick your ratios" providing you don't want anything taller than a 4.13 ring & pinion and a .89 top gear. This equals 3500 RPM on the highway and 140 MPH at 6500 RPM in top gear for a typical V8.

Great for a quarter mile drag car maybe, but geared a bit short for those of us with V8 cars we want to drive on the street...

Whatever happened with the Mendeola units made specifically for the FF GTMs? Did they get made? Did they work okay? Did anyone finish a car with one?

JR

With everything, and mine is a sequential gear box, 18000.00 with the clutch and starter.

They have any gear ratio you want for the one that I bought, they make everything there, so I picked what I wanted, at 160 I am at 8000 rpms, 3 rotor Mazda and thats a .8 5th gear.

I watched several videos of the other transaxles, and dont really care if 1st gear is good for 90 mph, I like acceleration and cornering, but that's my preference, you get caught going 100, your in jail for the nite around here.

Errr... Unless I'm reading something wrong on Mendeola's website, you can "pick your ratios" providing you don't want anything taller than a 4.13 ring & pinion and a .89 top gear. This equals 3500 RPM on the highway and 140 MPH at 6500 RPM in top gear for a typical V8.

Great for a quarter mile drag car maybe, but geared a bit short for those of us with V8 cars we want to drive on the street...

Whatever happened with the Mendeola units made specifically for the FF GTMs? Did they get made? Did they work okay? Did anyone finish a car with one?

JR

John Ross,
At current there are available 4.11,3.88,3.55 ring & pinions.
top gears are .88, .82,.73, .68,.63,.60
I believe you may be looking at the Off-road gear sets.

The units for the FFR GTM's are being made and sold.
They work better then ok.
Several are running and racing.
:thumbsup:

John Ross,
At current there are available 4.11,3.88,3.55 ring & pinions.
top gears are .88, .82,.73, .68,.63,.60
I believe you may be looking at the Off-road gear sets.

The units for the FFR GTM's are being made and sold.
They work better then ok.
Several are running and racing.
:thumbsup:

Cool! Do you have a link to the page with the road gearsets? I can only find the dirt stuff.

JR

Back