? on mounting the shifter

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I've noticed many builders mount the shifter at an angle. Is this just personal preference or does it make shifting easier? I've never had a car with a cable shifter before so just wondering if I'm missing something. I'm going to start fabricating my center console soon so obvoulsy I've got to mount the shifter first.

It's whatever works best, ergonomically, for you.

I spent a fair amount of time in the car moving the seat, the shifter, the steering wheel, etc until I thought I had everything just right for me.

Common mistakes are mounting the shifter too far forward so that the driver shifts briskly into the odd gears a gloved hand hits stuff in the center console, or the reverse case where even number gear shifts cause the arm to foul on the side of the seat (esp the wings on the sides of the seats) or on something else on the console like a e-brake handle. Also, when I see a shift lever that is not roughly aligned with the steering wheel plane, I know that the assembler hasn't paid much attention to the idea that the shifting hand needs to be able to move fluidly from the wheel to the shifter. Look at production cars to get a sense of the relationship of all the pieces here for insight- most of them get close to optimum.

Mounting the shifter on an angle subtly changes this dynamic and may make sense for tight situations. Mine is mounted this way to minimize interference to the tablet in the center stack (hey- it's touch screen, but not that kind of touching!), and retain the ideal shifter-to-steering wheel relationship, and at the same time not forcing my arm to far backward.

It's a delicate procedure, but you will be happier driving the car for the attention paid early on.

I agree with everything Will posted below.

In addition, I recommend you connect the shifter linkage to the transaxle before mounting the shifter. The unconnected shifter has much longer fore/aft throws than the G50 needs. So an unconnected shifter may lead you to think that you will bang your knuckes on the dash and mount the shifter further back than is needed.

FYI, I mounted my shifter flat on the center structure (vs inclined).

Since the shifter base is wider than the center structure, your next decision is whether to mount it:
  • Offset to the driver's side - This means that the driver's seat needs to be positioned a bit to the left. If you have a gentleman's seat, that nudge will put the seat out of the center with the steering wheel.
  • Offset to the passenger side - This nudges the passenger seat to the right. If you have a gentleman's seat, this will push the far right ear into the door panel, so the seat will need to be trimmed.
  • Centered - Hmmm, Just can't decide...ayy:bigcry:

I mounted my shifter offset to the passenger side, because when I'm driving my SLC, its all about me rockonsmile

Attachments

• IMG_3767.jpg
    IMG_3767.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 270
I mounted mine at a fairly steep angle and like it. I find the shifting much smoother and more natural than compared to a straight horizontal plane.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Don't forget to put in the equation which center console you're going to use. If you are fabricating a low profile type of console (like Allan) than you might want to have a flat shifter position. If you are using the factory center console like I have than a steeper position is necessary.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I'm building my own console so I can mount the shifter either way. Just trying to figure out if one way is better.

Back