Splitter clearance

Michael Fling

Supporter
I am fiberglassing the exposed plywood that is exposed on the bottom side of my splitter. It is sectioned and hinged so that the body is connected to the splitter (Much like Rumbles build). A few questions:

1. Is it typical to have the exposed plywood on the underside of the race splitter? Seems like this would be a problem with water.

2.I fiberglassed the bottom of the plywood. Is there a reason I should not fiberglass the plywood directly to the splitter? I suppose that if the splitter is replaced that the new splitter has new plywood too?

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Have you considered Jabroc wood? As I understand it, you leave it exposed and replace it when it becomes worn-down. I have seen it on the splitters on the cars of the US Le Mans series. They touch pavement with them frequently around the track. Of course, the track is different from the street.
I don't know how Jabroc wood is attached, but I am sure someone on this forum can help with that.

A link:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=6180
Just a thought.
David

Mike I fiber glassed 3/4 inch birch into my race splitter, I put a skim coat of duraglass to fill any imperfections clamped it, let it bond, and then glassed all around the edges then covered all of the plywood with cloth. I beveled the edges of the plywood after trimming it to fit which made it easy to glass for strength. after the whole process I think it is pretty well sealed from the elements and didn't add a lot of weight . I am sure I could probable jack the car up using it not that I would..................

Back