painting black edge on lexan/plexiglas

I did a search and did not come up with anything helpful. I bought some polycarbonate model paint and need some tips. 3/4" to 1" the normal width? Thanks!

Paint will likely come off....use dye from a printing shop that does graphics/banners.
That way the colour impregnates the plastic not just sit on the surface like paint does.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I have just been through this in replacing the windows on my KVA. Bleed through of the paint under the masking tape has been an issue, but I have managed to clean it up afterwards. It's tough to find a really good masking tape that will make any sort of curvature.

I'm not sure how you would fair with a dye, although I have heard of tinting plexiglass windows with dyes.

I used a border trim paint from Jerry Bickel and the paint itself is working well, although is does require scuffing the plexiglass surface for preparation.

Window Border Spray Paint

Julian

I used self adhesive plastic film to mask off the entire underside of the piece, then used a good sharp knife to remove the border area. Then scuffed it and painted with polycarbonate paint.

Paint will likely come off....use dye from a printing shop that does graphics/banners.
That way the colour impregnates the plastic not just sit on the surface like paint does.

What's that black type of tape you used on my 917's headlights and window trim? Some special type of plastic headlight tape, or just black...tape, heh?

Their are auto body tapes that don't bleed.

They use it for 2 toning and stripping.

I think I may have used insulation tape from memory.

Jim

Last edited:

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
To follow small radius curves, you need to use 1/8" wide automotive masking tape (it is plastic, and designed to stretch and bend so curves can be followed). After applying, you follow up with wider standard masking tape, then tape sheets of your local newspaper to that.

If you clean the lexan with soapy water to remove grease, and apply the tape carefully there should be no bleed through, and you should get near perfect edge and curves.

Dave

Alex using black tape is a little trick, it prevent the lighter body colour showing through when there is slight movement between the panels and the plexi.

We've been having our painters spray the lens borders. They mix in an additive to adhere to plastic and we scuff the border of the lens with an extra-fine scotchbrite pad. We have had no problems. Unless you get up to within inches of the lens, you can not tell the border has been scotch-brited as the outside of the lens is still nice and glossy. If the border is to be sprayed body-color on a tri-coat paint job, the painters have to apply the layers in reverse order.

Alex using black tape is a little trick, it prevent the lighter body colour showing through when there is slight movement between the panels and the plexi.

Is it a special type of tape or have a name? It seems to wrap around curved objects like the headlights very easily, not unlike most tapes.

Huh. I wonder if you could use knife edge tape laid before vinyl wrap on the inside of SLC windows/headlight lexan then knife off the excess. it worked on a 911 gt3rs with similar curves. check out 4 minutes for its flexibility in the youtube. $16.

i used border paint and its still fine on headlight covers. i used a 3/4" border on the driver/passenger window that people are beginning to scrape off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4wdK6ABTYc

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi guys

When I did mine I used electrical tape to mask everything off then sandblasted the edge that was going to be painted to give the paint something to key into and then used an epoxy based paint.

It has been there for 7 years now and is as good as new.

Dimi

Back