G96.50 Trans-axle Fluid

The info I've found on this trans states it takes about 3.8L of fluid. The question is: Since we flip the trans from it's normal orientation, should our fluid fill capacity change or stay the same. I don't have the trans in front of me to see if the side fill level hole is higher or lower when flipped and is the standard fill capacity set to make sure the internal gears are immersed to a set designed depth.

Additionally, fluid type: one could spend/waste a day reading opinions about fluid choices. I am currently using Swepco 201 fluid (API GL-5)- I believe it's a non-synthetic. Half the Porsche sites/forums seem to bounce between Swepco and then I see Mobil Delvac 75w-90 pop up all over the place-the mobil is a synthetic from what I understand.

Any thoughts on the above questions. BTW: my trans is using the OS Giken LSD unit. I have some fluid weep from the side axle seals but besides that no issues. The unit was rebuilt and bought from Gbox - should the seals be leaking already (approx. 1,400 miles).

Thx, Mike

Last edited:
Mike, the fill hole sits at about the 35% vertically so when the trans is inverted it's significantly higher at about 65%, no way you'd want to fill to that level.

I posed your second question to GBOX and CMS and they both recommend putting in exactly 3.8L (a gallon is close enough if that's the container size you're buying). I didn't get a very technical response to why that is still the magic number after inversion but I'm guessing that recommendation must be working. I also see in my notes GBOX recommending the cheapest gear oil you can buy as "the trans does not like the slippery fluid".

FWIW

How can you tell if your transaxle has been inverted?

DOes that mean it's phsyically upside down, or the internals inside are upside down, or just a piece of the box is upside down, or....?

Alex,
Physically upsidedown is your answer. Drain plug becomes fill, and fill the drain, etc.
For gearboxes where the ring gear cannot be "flipped".

Oil: They like dinosaur oil. Swepco 201 is great.

Alex,
Physically upsidedown is your answer. Drain plug becomes fill, and fill the drain, etc.
For gearboxes where the ring gear cannot be "flipped".

Oil: They like dinosaur oil. Swepco 201 is great.

If the ring gear is flipped does this mean that the fill and drain remain the same then?

Also, if my 930 box has the cable/hydrualic clutch hookup on the bottom, and not the top, of the box, does this mean my box is inverted or normal?

If the ring gear is flipped does this mean that the fill and drain remain the same then?

Also, if my 930 box has the cable/hydrualic clutch hookup on the bottom, and not the top, of the box, does this mean my box is inverted or normal?

Yes
Normal

I have used Redline in my porsche transaxles and always liked the results. The shift action is excellent at cold, I rarely see any amount of metal flake on the magnet, and I swear they run quieter. I use 50/50 regular/limited slip, as reco'd by Redline for porsche with the LSD. Just my personal experience.

When I bought my G50-20, it had 30k miles and appeared to have the original stinky gear oil in it.

I swapped it out with Mobile1 75w90 synthetic oil and was amazed at how much more freely the internals rotate. There is far less friction with synthetic oil.

Back