SL-C help re: 'Steering wheel lock' and 'steering query'.

As you know I acquired the SL-C built and thus I’m behind in knowledge. So, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Firstly: Steering Wheel Lock Engagement
I have the 2010 GM CADILLAC XLR ROADSTER COLLAPSIBLE steering column in my SL-C.
I was wondering how you get the ‘steering wheel lock’ to engage?
Normally, when car is off you turn the wheel a certain distance and it ‘locks’ the steering wheel. I can’t get mine to engage.
I would be grateful for any advice on this?

Is it an electronic steering lock? I ask this because in the first picture below you can see I have an unused ‘white’ plug…does this have something to do with it?

Secondly: Not sure of the terminology but probably related to ‘bump steer’
Refer second picture in particular the area I have circled. As you can see there is scoring/marks in the front lower control arm. This happens when I hit a bump with close to full steering lock engaged. As you can imagine it's not a pleasant experience!
I imagine the lower control arm should be ‘tapped’ and a bump stop installed to prevent this?
Any commentary or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Stuart

Last edited:
I don't know of any SLC that has enabled the column lock, or if it is even possible. That isn't a feature that is discussed in the manual. Is that required for registration in Australia? If so, I'm sure Craig knows how to make it work again.

As to the second picture, that's not a bump steer issue (bump steer is when toe changes due to suspension travel, like a bump), but I think it can be fixed by a locking collar on the tie rod at the steering rack. Using a collar like this stops further movement of the tie rod, which stops the wheel from hitting the suspension (I think that is what the picture is showing).

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Stu.
send me some pictures of the control arm please.

It looks to me that there is far too much caster in the front as I have never seen one even close to coming in contact...

Thanks Will and Fran!

Will, yes the steering column lock is required for registration, the engineer will NOT pass the car without a steering column lock!
The engineer did mention something that the steering rack is being allowed to travel to full extension with nothing from preventing from over extending (not those exact words, I'm a little confused on what he was conveying).

Fran, will try and email you more pictures tomorrow.
Also, Do you know if I can get the steering column lock to engage? And how?

Cheers stu

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Having never investigated the steering lock I cant help at the moment but I will have a dig and see what I can find..

This might be redundant, but I usually look at the simple things first. Is your lower ball joint tight. I see the nut and cotter pin but I believe a spacer or such is placed under that bolt to take up room so one doesn't run out of thread engagement. I can't tell from the pictures what's going on under that bolt - Mike

Thanks mike, will take more pics and post. Lower ball joint only has 2,500km on it so I don't imagine it's loose. The striking of the lower control arm is occurring on BOTH sides of the car.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The north American C6 Corvettes and the Cadillac XLRs don't have the steering lock feature as they are both push button start. The steering column doesn't have the traditional key slot to unlock the column when the key is turned.

The "Export" models did have this feature however. It used a "Steering column lock control module" (SCLCM). The system module locks and unlocks the column with the use of three relays. These relays provide power to the lock motor. The relays are located in the SCLCM.

Unfortunately you will be unable to use this setup as installed in the export models as it also relies on the body control module and remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR). Passwords in the RCDLR must match the password in the SCLCM before the column will unlock.

The only way I could see this working for you is if you installed your own relays to control the lock /unlock motor. You could possibly use ISIS to control your own two relays.

The connector used is a 4 pin connector. The two pins you will want to use is "C" which is purple and will unlock the motor and pin "D" which is orange and will lock the motor. The other two pins just send messages back to the SCLCM to confirm lock position for diagnostic purposes. These four wires are .5 in size (metric) or 20 gauge wire for us in the USA/Canada.

I can draw a schematic diagram and post it to show you how to wire the two relays if needed.

The unused 10 pin connector you show in the picture is for the XLR steering wheel controls.

Last edited:
Will, yes the steering column lock is required for registration, the engineer will NOT pass the car without a steering column lock!

Is the steering wheel lock required for anti-theft reasons? I'm trying to figure out the logic - even though if those are the rules... so be it.

Could you somehow present the case that you use one of these - picture below and or the steering wheel gets removed - if it's a theft thing.

They must really go over that car if they could see the marks on that lower control arm/knuckle area.

Locking columns are over-rated. Look at the recent rash of accidents/deaths here in the USA related to the failed ignition switches that locked the steering.... while the cars were driving down the road!

Attachments

• double-hook-car-steering-wheel-lock.jpg
    double-hook-car-steering-wheel-lock.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 15,726

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I just did some further research and found that you would have needed the "export" model steering column to get the steering lock motor. You can't purchase this lock motor and install this feature to the non export model XLR steering column unfortunately. I would advise that you go to a dealership to see if it's available separately. I can't find a part number for it online.

Ken, appreciate the detailed and informative response. Please remember I'm is Sydney Australia we don't get either of those cars as an export model!
I gather the first thing I need to establish is whether I actually have the ‘Export’ model Steering Column?
I don’t think this will be the case, as I’m guessing that Fran supplied the Steering Columns to RCR in Australia and thus Fran would of sourced and supplied the ‘North American’ version.
I will have a look for a 4 pin connector but I don’t hold out much hope!
Fran has suggested the following method and is having a look to see if he has any ‘pins’ lying around:
“there is a small hole in the bottom of the steering column that has a pin installed when the steering columns arrived from GM...this locks the column...its a throw away item that release the column for use..this would be a very simple fix ...it would need to be held in place /in the dropped position with a C clip or something equally simple but inactive when driving and just pushed up back into the hole and its a done deal...locked.

I’ve emailed my engineer to ask if this ‘manual’ method complies…

Mike,
Yes Australian Design Rule 25/02 requires a locking steering column for ant-theft purposes. Not sure the old ‘wheel lock’ will suffice. But appreciate the suggestion.

Yep they had the car for 4 days going over every inch of it and taking hundreds of photos.

Been discussing the lower control arm contact with Fran via email. As I mentioned it has only given one scare while turning left 90 degress and hitting a very large bump. Remembering the contact is occurring on both sides.
Going to install a Gopro camera in there to capture what’s going on.
Fran thinks the contact might only occur when the ‘lift’ kit is engaged… most driveways and entrances I come in and out of I have almost complete steering lock engaged this might be when the contact is occurring.
(the photos I posted are with lift kit engaged, that’s how I leave it parked in my garage, so I don’t forget to raise it before attempting to get out my drive way…that’s why picture shows very little clearance).
That was my beginners error taking the shots with lift kit engaged! Sorry to confound everyone as to why my clearance was so small.

Last edited:
Ken! Thanks to your detailed description of what to look for I bloody found it and better still they had actually already modified the setup to operate the steering column lock...it had just been disconnected and hidden. All sorted now and the column locks.
Fran no need to look for that locking pin!

This is an awesome result, thanks to all for getting involved to assist!

Back