Dorman expansion tank plumbing

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I found the description of how to plumb the tank on a previous thread, but I think I'm missing something. When using the Dorman tank, you don't use a pressure release cap at all in the system? Or is the screw-on cap on the tank a pressure release cap?

Info from this thread: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum-rcr40-slc-p4-mkiv/36175-coolant-expansion-tank-question.html

Dorman coolant tank

to mount tank, go as high as you can with the spyder in place so you can access the tank cap and close the rear clip. Two brackets needed.
trim off any protrusions on the tank that get in the way.

connections:

the bottom of the main drivers side coolant tube requires a straight one-inch spud (long enough to get a hose on) that goes to the one-inch connection on the bottom of the Dorman tank. they use a straight piece of one-inch ID hose.

there are two 3/8" connections on the tank. the front one goes to the drivers side radiator bleed fitting on drivers side. use a 90 degree fitting on the radiator.

the rear 3/8" fitting on the Dorman tank goes to the steam vent line on the engine.

Last edited:
I'm not using the dorman tank, but my reservoir tank is set up as a sealed system re: sealed/pressure release cap (22psi IIRC).

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
The screw on cap for the Dorman tank is a pressure cap. It has 16psi written on it.

Thanks. I'll have to look at mine a bit closer. It's got a cartoon warning to not open while hot (which made me think it was a pressure cap) but I didn't see any text at all on it.

Back