How fast or quick are the SLC's?

I am just wondering on how fast you get to 0-60 and 0-100 in one.

I have the rotary 20 B, and 0-100 is around 8 seconds. I can get more out of the engine, but 1st gear is instant on the rev limiter tho I have it set for now break in at 6500, 2nd gear once it goes into boost spins there also, 3rd gear it pulls hard and can get to 100 in 3rd but its on the rev limiter then at 100.

Anybody ever check. I wouldn't know what else to do for traction, the rotary is not really a torque monster.

Attachments

• DSCF0719.jpg
    DSCF0719.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 538

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Softer tires, suspension set up , traction control if you want the absolute best with launch control.....

You gear ratios in the Mendeola trans are not the best IMHO...the Ford GT with the Ricardo has a first gear so tall that the 0-60 run did not require a shift, great for the magazines and bragging rights and it was geared to pull over 220mmph stock...many worry about the tall ratios but I loved mine in my 535hp street SLC

Every car posting 0-60 and 0-100 times in the magazines all have the above...and I can tell you for a fact that the magazine test drivers flog the living poop out of the cars to achieve their best times.

Drag race cars wheelie and have specific tyres to launch the way they do...which is great but they do have a hard time getting around corners it must be said.
The SLC is NOT a drag car by any stretch of the imagination

Last edited:
I like my ratios, I like banging gears thru a city block, but just wondering how fast others are. Other then cleaning up my fuel injection, I really dont care if I have any more power, I'm more about longevity and would rather drive it more.

Just wondering how mine compares to the LS powered ones.

Acceleration and cornering I like more, drag racing that ranks up there with tractor pulling, done both for years, You remember Lou, he came up there with me to pick it up, I always raz him about his 6 seconds on the track and the 18 hr drive to Gatornationls. He bought my Packard and Merc off me.

Was at your buddies last nite, Mongoose for his cruise in, Gary looked the car over.

Every car posting 0-60 and 0-100 times in the magazines all have the above...and I can tell you for a fact that the magazine test drivers flog the living poop out of the cars to achieve their best times.

Indeed, the magazine claimed figures for 'our' sensible family car are a second faster than the manufacturer times (5.4s against 6.4s). While I'm sure that's achievable I'd rather have a clutch, driveshafts etc that lasted longer than a day. :)

Like the old saying, "You can go a fast as your wallet".

You already haves a light rigid chassis. To find the limit, just add as much horsepower as your money or nerve can withstand.

Yes, and remember that since they are all built differently, we are forced to rely on the impression of speed and power....stopwatches and skidpads just don't work for them.

Just wondering how mine compares to the LS powered ones. .

I might give it a whirl over the long weekend and report back - no promises though. The koso gauge package has a 0-60 time clock I think. The set-up function is not intuitive IIRC so I'll probably have to take the manual with me.

"Every car posting 0-60 and 0-100 times in the magazines all have the above...and I can tell you for a fact that the magazine test drivers flog the living poop out of the cars to achieve their best times."

This the truth. A fellow owner of a SPF Daytona Coupe lent his car out for a video car/shoot out. They had the Coupe up against a Dodge Viper. The Coupe faired really well vs the Viper. He got his car back with a fried clutch. This was with some pro-shoe driver also. It's on the web with really good video by the way. [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2xD2db-ZuHY[/ame]

They do not get these times on the 1st run.

Last edited:
I think the SPF Coupe needed more tire...

JR

Yep, part of issue with tire choices was the availability of sizes and still have the car look somewhat period correct. I had the Nitto's and to boot the rear sizes/tires were a different softness rating than the fronts and were labeled "LT" light truck?? Try finding good tires in these sizes - Holy Grail.

Coupe Tires: Nitto NT 555
frt:255/45/18 (26.97 10.2” sec-w)
Rear: 295/45/18 (28.31” 11.5” sec-w)

Coupe: stock
255/45/18 frt.
285/50/18 rear

Option:
255/40/18 frt. (slight tire rub under full lock)
295/45/18 rear

In younger, more innocent times, my group of car fanatics had the "Wayne's house to the bump" method of determining how fast our cars were running. Wayne's house was on a country road with a noticable bump in the road about an eighth of a mile from the mailbox at the driveway. Any given night, you could line-up at the mailbox and see how well your car was running by your speed when you went over the bump. Man would those cars run....especially in retrospect when sharing the speeds over a few beers at the local bar. At the track however, things never quite played out the same way. The whole process turned out to be about as scientific as lining up that SLC with a 700hp ZO6...just stories, verified and verifiable by nobody. The darn track really put the kabosh on our method, but turned out to be a better place to determine what each car could really do,

Hi Ken,

I would agree with you except that the person you referenced has extensive experience with all things/cars LSx. I would also note the performance history of the SLC on the track.

Thanks for the insight Doc, but perhaps the person driving the ZO6 was not blessed with the same extensive experience, and that would reinforce my point. No offense meant to anybody, just looking for some data which transcends the empirical.

Ricardo was that race from a dig or roll?

A very slow crawl.

In younger, more innocent times, my group of car fanatics had the "Wayne's house to the bump" method of determining how fast our cars were running. Wayne's house was on a country road with a noticable bump in the road about an eighth of a mile from the mailbox at the driveway. Any given night, you could line-up at the mailbox and see how well your car was running by your speed when you went over the bump. Man would those cars run....especially in retrospect when sharing the speeds over a few beers at the local bar. At the track however, things never quite played out the same way. The whole process turned out to be about as scientific as lining up that SLC with a 700hp ZO6...just stories, verified and verifiable by nobody. The darn track really put the kabosh on our method, but turned out to be a better place to determine what each car could really do,

Thanks for the insight Doc, but perhaps the person driving the ZO6 was not blessed with the same extensive experience, and that would reinforce my point. No offense meant to anybody, just looking for some data which transcends the empirical.

Are you serious?

Back