new

Hello All,
I have enjoyed reading all your posts for several months now while i figure out what i want. I have decided on building a SL-C. Pretty obvious since i am posting here...

Now for what is the first of what i presume will be millions of questions. Can i use the Tremec TR-6060 Transmission in this car? If not, I love to go fast, so what would you recommend? i see a lot about the G-50, though there are numerous variations... i don't want to over build my engine for the transmission so a good hp/tq limit from what i can tell is between 500-650...?

I don't really know a lot about cars. As for my background i am a helicopter mechanic, and i just love to build things, at least when i have time. it has been a dream of mine to build a car, and well i look forward to the challenge.

Anyway thank you for your time and any help!:thumbsup:

Hello Zav,
I would suggest reading some of the many SLC build threads. SLCs require a transaxle, as opposed to a transmisson such as the one you asked about. You might want to do a little research on the subject. Regardless, welcome to the group.

I knew that, i just wasn't sure what the differences were from transmission to trans axle.

I have read a bit on it. and many of the build threads.
I just saw this on Tremec's web site *Modular design for rear wheel drive (RWD), all wheel drive (AWD) and transaxle platforms* and thought that something like this could be applied in this case.

I was honest in the fact if it isn't a turbo-shaft or turbo-jet engine i don't know a thing about it...

I am trying to do as much research as i can, but i can guarantee i will ask some questions you will think are stupid and no brainers.

please don't write me off just yet.

No worries, there is very little space in one of these cars, although you could put an axle or transfer box behind a regular transmisson the overall length would make it impossible to fit in a car of this type.

Ok, i will work that into my budget. thank you. Any particular preference on what trans axle can handle that.

@Mesa: ahh, i see what your saying. If your around in the next few months I could take leave and ride up to my dad's place for a visit, turns out you are along the way, I was hoping i could stop by and take a look at your car sometime. Maybe get a little more knowldge in the process...

Also if there is anyone close to San Diego who has one, would love to stop in for a look.

What about a straight transplant ford gt motor and trans-axle? 5.4L supercharged with the Ricardo... anyone know anything about the LMP Transverse Gearbox?

I know they are a bit more expensive then the LS motors, it just feels like 2/3 of every body is using one, maybe that is just the smarter route... any thoughts.

What is the overall length width and height i have to work with.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Welcome on board!

I was honest in the fact if it isn't a turbo-shaft or turbo-jet engine i don't know a thing about it...

I am trying to do as much research as i can, but i can guarantee i will ask some questions you will think are stupid and no brainers.

please don't write me off just yet.

Success is best measured in doing things you enjoy and have knowledge in. How about applying your turbine knowledge and skills to Fran's offerings, and creating something similar in nature to the Howmet TX:

1968 Howmet TX - Images, Specifications and Information

You'll have everybody interested in that!

What about a straight transplant ford gt motor and trans-axle? 5.4L supercharged with the Ricardo... anyone know anything about the LMP Transverse Gearbox?

I know they are a bit more expensive then the LS motors, it just feels like 2/3 of every body is using one, maybe that is just the smarter route... any thoughts.

The LMP transmission is from the C5/C6 Corvette. It's basically a regular 4 speed auto or 6 speed trans with a differential bolted directly to the butt end of it. I highly doubt it'll fit unless you plan on using a very short engine of some sort...

Good luck, and welcome to GT40s.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter

A Ford GT drivetrain would work, not cheap though. Here's one for sale - asking $37K: X2 Builders - wrecked dodge vipers for sale

Here's some transaxle threads with lots of good info:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum-rcr40-slc-p4-mkiv/40461-new-transaxles-slc.html

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum-rcr40-slc-p4-mkiv/42211-ideal-gearbox-gear-ratios.html

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum-rcr40-slc-p4-mkiv/41879-slc-ls-376-grazziano.html

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/slc-clubhouse/43369-graziano-transaxle-installation.html

creating something similar in nature to the Howmet TX

Ok that looks pretty awesome, if i get around to building a track car i will have to definitely work on some ideas.

Thanks Pete for the good reading. i will keep on keeping on. so much to learn and read...:stunned:

Back