Axle Installation

I am installing my axles on the graziano transaxle. Wheel side of both axles fits like a glove. Transaxle side of each axle is about 1/16'' too narrow, maybe even a little bit less than 1/16''. I can get 1 or 2 bolts through and threaded properly if i put 2 in next to each other, but the bolts opposite the 1 or 2 i've screwed in won't go through because the axle is too narrow. Has anybody else had this problem? I've tried rotating the axle and seeing if different patterns might work but the result is the same.

I've already removed the galvanized dust cover on the transaxle side.

Thanks,
Ryan

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I don't know if this link will help, but I found it interesting.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-powertrain-transaxles/25949-rcr-cv-joint-dimensions.html

This very small difference you describe seems to match the problem noted in the link, but using a different transaxle manufacturer. The difference is way too small to be the difference between the other Porsche/German CV dimensions. I didn't care much for the solution in the link, but it may work if you don't have any other options.

If you can carefully and accurately measure the pattern, you may be able to determine where the problem lies. I believe you're using the 930 joints, which should be a 94mm pattern.

Lastly, this is an excellent but short article about clocking the CVs correctly, especially if you use any considerable angle.

http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/cv_assembly.htm

Last edited:
I agree with the solvent cleanup in that video.

CV Assembly

The first two time i put on the cv's, the bolt would back out even though i slathered blue loctite on them. Lithium CV grease beats loctite every time.

I try to burn 1 can of brake clean every time i take the CV's off and waste a roll of paper towels.
This beats the heck out of lose CV bolts that spray grease in a 360 degree pattern in the rear clip.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Ryan,

I took some pictures of the axles installed here in the shop and also went and measured both the transaxle and the CV joints that we have in stock and they are a match...as I expected actually.

Remember that the dust cap on the transaxle end of the driveshaft gets removed and discarded....

There is no issue that we are aware of and we have bolted up many sets now with no problem

Attachments

• graz axles.jpg
    graz axles.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 333
  • graz axle 2.jpg
    graz axle 2.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
The axles for my LS3 and Graziano fit. I checked them last night. The engine and transmission side bolt pattern is the same as Fran has indicated. I was told by Jim that the first set didn't fit though.

Back