Crash test

My wife has rode in my car a couple times, we went to a car show Tuesday, she just asked the question how would this compare in crash test? She at first didnt want to stretch out her legs.

Anybody ever pile one up?
Fran, any input on this?
Did you have to do a crash test with one of these cars?

I remember someone wadded one up into a wall or tire barrier at a track and it came away really well, except need new front fiberglass. The chassis is really stiff and the car is actually really big with you in the middle. I feel safe in it. Now drive in a Miata and tell me how your feel or even better, my old Lotus Elise. Yikes.

In a controlled environment (track) I'm fairly confident you'd come out okay. I think Dean hit the wall at a low speed - Bob's damage from his accident was pretty impressive, but he still walked away just fine.

On the street I have no doubt you're going to probably be dead. I've seen some serious accidents in cobras and gt40s (not minor fender taps) and each time I think to myself 'fvck, I hope if that ever happens to me I'm killed instantly'. The car is sturdy, but let's be serious - if an f150 hits you from behind at 40mph the engine is going into the fuel tank and you're on fire. If an f150 t-bones you at 40mph it's coming into the car. If you hit the rear end of an f150 at 40mph you're sliding underneath him and going to decapitate yourself.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't see how, if a 5,000lb SUV/truck slams into you at 40mph, you will walk away with just a few bruises in any of these cars (cobras, gt40, gtm, etc...).

I had a Brunton Stalker and I know they are not as strong (frame wise) as the SLC. Well - this stalker tangled with a f150 and the occupants came out almost unscathed. Too many impact variables and vehicle types to make a blanket statement, but I guess when it's your time.. it's your time. It's still safer than my past motorcycles. And guys - always wear your 5 point harness correctly!

Quote: On Saturday Nov 9th, 2013, chassis #142 was involved in an accident with a Ford F150 pickup. The pickup ran a red light and 142 impacted the Ford in the right side at 50 MPH flipping the truck over onto its side.

Except for some temporary soreness, and a few stitches to the right hand of my passenger (he braced himself for impact using the RH mirror support). Both my friend and I walked away from the accident without any serious injuries; both of us were wearing our 5-point harnesses. When the Police and EMS personnel arrived, they were amazed to see both of us out of the car, up and walking around."

Attachments

• IMG_7183.JPG
    IMG_7183.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_7184.JPG
    IMG_7184.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_7186.JPG
    IMG_7186.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Besides just being a lot more enjoyable driving experience, this is the main reason I only drive my car at 6am on the weekends in very light traffic. Too many yeahoos on the road these days looking down at their cell phones. It's also the main reason I run open megaphones. I want people to hear me and look up long before they see me.

When I drive mine, its like riding my street bikes, you must be on the look out constantly, I usually have my head lights on also. I can control all my lighting functions, I am going to put in the light flashing like you see on motorcycles, I have had them on my past bikes and it gets peoples attention, some even pull over thinking im a cop.

But I think im going to do that to my bright lights durn the day just to keep people aware of me.

Thanks for all the input.

Keith

Besides just being a lot more enjoyable driving experience, this is the main reason I only drive my car at 6am on the weekends in very light traffic. Too many yeahoos on the road these days looking down at their cell phones. It's also the main reason I run open megaphones. I want people to hear me and look up long before they see me.

I like the sound if your car Mike. Any chance of a drive-by vid on megs? :thumbsup:

I had a Brunton Stalker and I know they are not as strong (frame wise) as the SLC. Well - this stalker tangled with a f150 and the occupants came out almost unscathed. Too many impact variables and vehicle types to make a blanket statement, but I guess when it's your time.. it's your time. It's still safer than my past motorcycles. And guys - always wear your 5 point harness correctly!

Quote: On Saturday Nov 9th, 2013, chassis #142 was involved in an accident with a Ford F150 pickup. The pickup ran a red light and 142 impacted the Ford in the right side at 50 MPH flipping the truck over onto its side.

Except for some temporary soreness, and a few stitches to the right hand of my passenger (he braced himself for impact using the RH mirror support). Both my friend and I walked away from the accident without any serious injuries; both of us were wearing our 5-point harnesses. When the Police and EMS personnel arrived, they were amazed to see both of us out of the car, up and walking around."

Pretty sure if he'd struck you at the door area you'd be dead or a vegetable right now. But yea, anything's safer than a crotch rocket, lol

Pretty sure if he'd struck you at the door area you'd be dead or a vegetable right now. But yea, anything's safer than a crotch rocket, lol

Fran sells side bars to prevent side intrusions. Along with that he also sells a fuel bladder to prevent the fireball from your rear enders. Beyond that you have to assume a certain risk driving a vehicle like this. More than likely you will stand a greater chance of stuffing it into a highway jersey barrier when it gets away from you during "spirited" driving. It seems most the super/hypercars that get crashed are the result that very same driving style.

Fran sells side bars to prevent side intrusions. Along with that he also sells a fuel bladder to prevent the fireball from your rear enders. Beyond that you have to assume a certain risk driving a vehicle like this. More than likely you will stand a greater chance of stuffing it into a highway jersey barrier when it gets away from you during "spirited" driving. It seems most the super/hypercars that get crashed are the result that very same driving style.

I may be wrong, but the side bars are probably below the bumper height of a F150, most likely to prevent track injury with walls, barriers and low cars. It would save the cost of a casket.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Mike/Shark

Holy cow, you guys really drilled that F150!!!! Glad you're basically okay!

Mike/Shark

Holy cow, you guys really drilled that F150!!!! Glad you're basically okay!

Randy, it was a fellow stalker's car, not mine thank god. They put a new front clip on the car and it's back on the road. I said the same thing when I saw the pictures but it was more like Holy $hit.

You can always point to the Australian chassis test that pulled the test rig mounts out of the floor to put her at ease...no, it's not the same but it may make her worry less.

Back