Dans Group Ten GT40 build.

Hi guys. Today is the day I start my build diary which is super exciting!
I am one of the "Group Ten" crew who own our own moulds and chassis jig which we are building our cars from. I am sure some of you are familiar with Kaspa, Ryan L, etc who are part of the same crew. I feel extremely priviledged to be part of this group and to be in such great company from both a wealth of knowledge perspective and also in friendship. We really have a great group of guys (ten of us hence the name "Group Ten") so I am sure we will have some great times with our builds.
Kaspa is currently building my chassis for me from our jig (at least I hope he is) so should have that in a couple of weeks.
Ryan was kind enough to pick up my body along with his from our fiberglassing mob last week so I travelled down from Wagga Wagga in NSW to Melbourne in Vic to pick it up and bring it back home...Holy crap, what a long day!
Sat the bits in place so I could make vroom vroom noises and also so I could stand back and take in the fact that I now had the beginnings of a car that I had dreamt of owning for years sitting in front of me in the flesh.

null_zpsancsqwct.jpg

So of course this called for a celebratory drink which led to the opening of this:
null_zpsmwbl8io8.jpg

All in all, happy days!!!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dan,

Welcome to GT40s.com... We look forward to watching your build!

Looks like a nice drop, no wonder you didn't pick up the phone when I called to see if you had made it back ok!!!

how did the tarp fair on the trailer? did it stop the wind catching the body parts and blowing them around or did it shred itself by the end of the street as you left my place?

let me know when the chassis arrives, might have to come up and have a look. only 5hrs (470km, 292 miles) drive.

Regards Ryan

Half the eyelets pulled straight out of the cheap-ass tarp and it tore itself to pieces. I stopped just as I got out of Melbourne and checked it and it had already happened so i went mental with the duct tape to keep it in check. I spent the rest of the trip driving home in the dark so couldn't see what was happening in the mirror so just pushed on hoping for the best when I got home.
The body faired up fine but the tarp looked like a blue Hawian Hula skirt at the back. That's what I get for buying it at Bunnings.

I actually did some work on the Forty today. I trimmed and sanded the nostril panel and also the seat in the front clip where the nostril panel sits:

null_zpsuwo5aluw.jpg

null_zpsedaao8y7.jpg

Super excited now that Kaspa has finished my chassis, still have to get it from Qld to Wagga :(

So a weekend means I have some daylight to get some stuff done. I decided to trim up the edges around the insides of the front guards and the underside of the nose, nothing exciting but it is a job that has to be done at some stage so figured I'd get it out of the way. The grey primer is just so I have a uniform colour to go off which makes it easier to tell if the edges are straight or not.

null_zpszocg4qck.jpg

null_zps2dhxrifo.jpg

Will consider using a stupid LS engine
mad.gif

Did some more trimming today, this time on the spider.

Passenger side door seat trimmed Vs drivers side untrimmed (or the other way around for you Americans):
null_zpstvniqdm8.jpg

null_zpslrkocc5q.jpg

Trimmed the drivers side door seat and also the inside of the windscreen seat:
null_zpsliisztnt.jpg

All pretty boring really but the trimming and sanding to get it all neat was about five hours of faffing around.

HI Dan,
Good to see the "Kaspa group" sorry "Group Ten" cars starting to take shape I will be keeping a watch to see how they progress. That LS will be a lot easier to fit than one of those giant Ford lumps, you guys in Aussie realy do have it hard with your rules.

Cheers Leon.

HI Dan,
That LS will be a lot easier to fit than one of those giant Ford lumps, you guys in Aussie really do have it hard with your rules.

Cheers Leon.

Hi Leon.

I would prefer to go with the Ford 5.0 Miami supercharged engine but they are a bastard to find, it seems that one mob in Oz buys them all from the other wreckers around Australia so they have a monopoly on that market and as such want a crap load of money for them, $17k - $18k in fact. These engines are around 470HP. I can get a 6.2L supercharged LS engine for about $12.5k which are about 580HP but a 6.2L is a big arse engine and I don't know if I could sleep at night knowing I have a Chev engine in the car!

Well I'm quite sure once you feel that GM power it will cure any sleep problems you might have so you will have to progress fast so you don't suffer for too long. That is a hell of price for all those engines even the Chevy. There have been a couple of 7.0L NZV8 super car engines come up for sale here for around NZ$12k and they are 600hp non super charged, the 5.7 and 6.0 Gen 3s are about 5-7k don't see to many blown one's though. The good thing is from the 5.7 to the 7.0L are all the same phyical size and way smaller than those wide ass fords, so easy to shoe horn into the car. good luck. Cheers Leon

One of my main concerns is emissions testing for registration so the LS engine could still be an issue on that side of things

Coyote
Power... Tick
Light weight.... Tick
Emissions .... Tick
8 stack throttle bodies... Tick
I rest my case

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 358

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Coyote
Power... Tick
Light weight.... Tick
Emissions .... Tick
8 stack throttle bodies... Tick
I rest my case

Coyote is a great engine no doubt, but as I understand it, it is taller and wider than a GM LS engine. By being the new kid on the block, parts are fewer and more costly..

Back