P2161 Re-make

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Parts are starting to come in. 2015 was a bust for driving but 2016 will be a lot of fun.

Last dyno pull before loading it up. A/F sensor was disconnected.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mkYeTqQVA-I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
2015080700.jpg

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Did a little cleanup and replaced all OEM hardware with stainless. Should come that way from RBT...

2015080701.jpg

Keith

Some good numbers there for a 302 and there could be more further down the road if you wanted...

Now, how much does the car weigh? :shifty:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I will weigh it when it's back together. I'm sure it could make more but I hit what was the target of 450 and should reliably turn 7k for many miles. Can't wait to get the 180 headers on it and hear it through them.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I see an alloy block...THAT'S what I keep recommending when noobs post and want to put a 900 HP SOHC in the MKI (says he with tongue in cheek)...the best cost:benefit ratio comes from building for light weight because it not only improves acceleration, but also braking and handling and fuel economy and....well, you get the idea, figuratively and literally :thumbsup: !

I know alloy blocks are expensive...but how much would one need to spend to get equivalent improvements to those other issues if one used a heavy iron block??? I bet it would cost way more than the cost increase to go alloy over iron.

Cheers to ya, Mike, for your ongoing mods and improvements to your 40. You are setting the bar quite high!!!

Doug

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I expect it should be one of the lighter GT40s. I am still awaiting the modified rear BRMs. Its going to have a track & ride height more like the race cars. If everything goes as planned it should have very unique tone as well. I don't expect it will be much like it was with the 427. No where near the torque. That along with a lightweight flywheel I imagine will give it a very different nature. At the current rate of progress it may not be finished in time to enjoy this year. The exhaust still must be made as well.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
How much detail are you after?

Dart alloy block
AFR 185 heads
Le Mans grind solid lifter cam
Eagle steel crank
QF 650 DP
Single plane manifold

Just curious to hear whether or not you stroked it or increased the bore size to 4.125? I have been looking at the short-deck (8.2) blocks with the 4.125 bores......

Back