GT90 Info

Hello everyone,

This is a new thread that I created in focus on the 1995 Ford GT90 concept car. Prior to this thread i've posted alot of GT90 information and things that I found about the car on Des's "GT90 from ground up" build thread:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/21349-gt90-ground-up.html

In turn this has managed to get off track of Des's build.(thanks for the heads up ;)) I apologize for getting alittle carried away, but the GT90 is a fascinating car with alot of mystery surrounding the real facts about the car, I now believe it needs a thread of its own.

Thanks,
Joe Treu

Re: Gt90 info thread

Leaving off from the last subject on Des's build page, I had discussed the possibility that before selling the GT90 to a private buyer, they had removed the V12 quad turbo motor and replaced it with something alittle more reliable/tested. I have tried to inspect some of the new GT90 pictures that have surfaced in light of the latest Goodwood festival in search of a good shot of the motor. The motor is covered with a carbon fiber cover, but some of the engine is still exposed along the sides. The complex exhaust plumbing for the turbochargers is what pokes out alittle on each side. Unfortunately nobody has posted any quality pictures focused on the engine bay. Recently I have came across a website that claims that after the GT90 was sold the V12tttt... had been removed and in its place a GM LS1 motor had been installed. This makes more sense to me but why not Ford install a Ford motor? Anyhow I'm not sure the validity of the info but this is the article quote:

"The GT90's 48-valve V12 was a six-litre engine which, if Ford had ever produced it in volume, might have produced up to 720 hp (537 kW), thanks to four Garrett Systems T2 turbochargers. The engine was based on the Ford Modular engine. Two V8 engines each had portions removed, and the cut down engines were welded together. In total, this yielded a 90-degree V-12, with 90.2 mm bore and 77.3 mm stroke. After being sold, an LS1 was placed in the vehicle. Then Ford CEO Jacques Nasser was very proud of the car, and kept a model of it on his desk. Special thanks to the DC Cars team Thanks to DannyL for his help in testing and debugging and for creating the custom wheels used. The model was created and mapped by Tyranitar. Additional thanks goes to General Antilles and the members of the Redline Ambrosia forums who's harsh criticisms that really helped make this car great. This is one wicked fast ride, so have fun." -http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/redline/addons?category=Cars.

Keith

Sorry if you've already seen these...

Attachments

• gt90.jpg
    gt90.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 308
  • gt902.jpg
    gt902.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 272
  • gt903.jpg
    gt903.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 268
  • gt904.jpg
    gt904.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 258
  • gt905.jpg
    gt905.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 295

Keith

And these..

Attachments

• Resize%20of%20FordGT90-Detail-1.jpg
    Resize%20of%20FordGT90-Detail-1.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Resize%20of%20FordGT90-Detail-4.jpg
    Resize%20of%20FordGT90-Detail-4.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 243
  • Resize%20of%20FordGT90-Engine.jpg
    Resize%20of%20FordGT90-Engine.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 304
  • Resize%20of%20FordGT90-Interior.jpg
    Resize%20of%20FordGT90-Interior.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 274

No apologies Keith, Thats why it is here, post anything about the GT90 that you like. Great looking car... I find it odd that some people despise the looks of it.

Keith

Bigger one of the engine...

Attachments

• Resize%20of%20FordGT90-Engine.jpg
    Resize%20of%20FordGT90-Engine.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 344

Found a new picture with a little bit better view of the engine. Still cant see too many details about the motor. Cant believe nobody take engine photos while at the show...
newGT902.jpg

Tim, that was the short era of the "new edge" design where seemingly flat panels were brought together to form curves. It always reminds me of the stealth fighter planes a bit. Another example is the Lincoln Sentinel from 1996.

Attachments

• Lincoln Sentinel 1996.jpg
    Lincoln Sentinel 1996.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 392

Keith, actually the picture of the Lincoln does not do it complete justice, but a funky look all the same. I've seen it and it is kind of cool. I was trying to bring some insight as to the design thinking of the time that was also incorporated into the look of the GT90.

That Lincoln reminds me of a bad futuristic movie car. But is definitely molded with the hard edge concept in mind. Seems to have too much empty space, just my 2 cents.

I've started making a GT90 in 3D form, model still in early stages, but I'll post my progress.
3Dgt90_1.jpg
3Dgt90_2.jpg
3Dgt90_3.jpg
3Dgt90_4.jpg
3Dgt90_5.jpg
3Dgt90_6.jpg

Last edited:
Back