Name that chassis...

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
looks early, with that Colotti...

Attachments

• early chassis.jpg
    early chassis.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 656
Those 'look' like the 58mm carbs and rocker covers that the first 256 pushrod Indy motors used, if so it could be one of the first four cars built 101 thru 104..

Only issue with that theory is that if I remember right the Indy motors had exhaust that exited from the center of the motor where those carbs are

Brian Stewart
Supporter
The roof vents and the holes in the bulkhead for the through-the-seat ventilation certainly suggest it is a very early chassis.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Only issue with that theory is that if I remember right the Indy motors had exhaust that exited from the center of the motor where those carbs are

That was the 255 DOHC Indy engine that was never run by Ford in the '40 (although they have been retro fitted by owners.) The engine pictured is the "Fairlane" pushrod aluminum Indy engine as used in 1963 in the Lotus that Ford sponsored. and in the GT40 until Shelby took the race program over from FAV.

This can only be 101 or 102, probably 102, the first early cars seem not to of had perforated radius rod tunnels (although I stand to be corrected) like 103 and 104 and the horsecollar is of fabricated construction.

great shot, the Horsecollar, or as i often hear it referred to as the "horse shoe" is such a noticeable and unique part of the chassis. its probably one of my favorite aspects of the design.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I got as far as 101-104 early roof vents, holes in the bulkhead for airflow and the huge jig used to make it. Graham hit it on the head with Style Auto.... the article omits the chassis number.

Back