I want to know what all you guys are building or waiting to build.

I just thought it would be nice to have everyone post here as to what they plan on building, and if you are building, how far along are you.
I have a RFGT40 that arrived on the 23rd of August. Right now I am putting the sheet metal panels on the frame. There are 52 of them and I have 15 in place but not permenant as yet. I like to get them all fit first then do the sealing and riveting.
My GT will be painted Titanium with black stripes. It will be powered by a 302 stroked to 327 and use weber type injection with the wolf electronics.
I'm taking pictures as I go so as soon as I figure how to get them posted I will.

Hersh
smile.gif

PS..Hey Enzo, how much longer you gotta wait?
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Ditto RF GT40, got about 15 panels on the frame
mad.gif
same as Hershal, but I'm working when I can. Babies and travel will cut into building hours. I'm using a 342 motor, AFR heads, 11:1, and am going with a yellow/black or yellow/white color scheme. Full leather interior is planned.

Only mods so far to RFs planned build is to make the gauge layout the competition layout as per original GT40s - dual pump switches, light switches (head,driving,markers), and to use a push-button ignition.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Hershal,

Saw your post about changing the parking brake, good idea. I also had a Fiero and the brake idea was a good one. Of course, you know that if you were building that thing right hand drive, right hand shift, you wouldn't have any problems.....
tongue.gif
Still might get in the way of my elbow though and have to be moved.

Ron

G

I'm just dreaming about these cars as I know I can't afford one . Maybe in a couple years.

G

I have built and enjoyed an ERAGT and am on the "list" with them for another. My hope is to do it as a MKII roadster (Sebring version) with the correct T44 gearbox...

I have dry sump alumnium head 427so, now if I can jst get the gearbox project done.

Dreams, dreams.

Jim Holden

G

I'm building a 1046 look-alike (i.e. MK II in black with silver stripes) using as much original componentry as possible. Chassis is a semi monocoque built from original drawings. Engine is a 351W with 48 IDA's.
Chassis

Cheers, Brian.

G

Whats the general opinion on 351w crate motor $5000.00 385 Hp or stroked 302 to 347. The stroker a little more ratical and more costly. Which motor for best all arround street use. Will never see a track. Just occasional street pipe cleaning. I know the stroker will rev up higher but i'm concerned about low end torque and don't really need 7000rpm shift points. I also don't want to affect the value of the finished product.
ERA GT40.

Still in the planning stages and trying to gain a little education before wasting money
on something i won't be happy with.

LLoyd on the infamous GT40 wait list

G

Hersch,

I'm seriously considering the purchase of a Cape Advanced Vehicles GT40 (a.k.a. California Advanced Vehicles - the distributor here). Currently available for $55,900 less engine.

RED_IN_FRONT_1838_WEB.jpg

Would like any feed back about this car.

This is Hersch from ClubCobra, right?

STG
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: STG ]

STG,
I like the CAV car. I think it fills a very important niche in this area . When the car was at Knotts I looked it over very well. It is made well and the components are of good quality. If I was not a builder I most likely could have bought the CAV. You save alot of time and money with this car. I feel that it has issues as do all the others. You just have to pick the one that you feel best suits your style.
All I know is when I drive this baby down the street ain't nobody lookin' at that new vette next to me.
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif
(BT SNAKE)
wink.gif

STG, I bought a CAV from Bob Lacey and am very happy with it so far. I'm just about ready to drop in the motor and hopefully will have it ready for the Temecula Rod Run.

Well, depending on my finances and how much
building I want to do, either an RF or CAV.
I'll be running either a 306 or 331, TWM
induction, Electromotive brain, and
Canfield heads. I'm thinking just solid
fly yellow and a license plate that reads
ENZOWHO

Ian

G

Reply for Lloyd, When we started our new engine program, we did it because of the customers that came in with Ford crate engines. They were very disappointed when they found that they needed many parts removed and replaced to work in their application. Ford has done a wonderful job promoting these engines and now has a great pipeline to get rid overstocked parts. Secondary to this equation is the questionable quality issue. Bearing clearances have little consistency from engine to engine and from bearing to bearing! Valve springs are also very light. Do not just look at the purchase price of the "crate" engine, look at what you will have invested in the engine when it is ready to set in the car. There can be a big difference.

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: jcperformance ]

G

My car is an ERA, chassis no. 2070. It has been painted in fly yellow with a white moustache. It has the 1075 front and rear flares, and is the final assembly stages. The power plant is a 351 crate motor inducted by 448 IDA Webers, made to a ZF-2 transaxle. I'm using BRM wheels and air conditioning.

Enzo Alibrandi
P.S. Ian -- I like your license plate!! Mine says GT-40.

I'll be purchasing an RF. I hope to have it by the end of the year if not sooner. I picked this over the CAV because I really wanted the chance to biuld it. Of course with much help from friends. I plan on putting a stroke 302 in and also will be running an audi box. As for the paint I don't know but the wife says it's going to be Black with silver stripes, we'll see. You have to give some to get some, right. My plate will read "GT 4T" for my little girl "T" Taylor.

G

I am building the first Roaring Forties kit to be sent to the U.S. I recieved it December 23rd 2000. I chose it over the CAV because the CAV was already built and I like building. It has BRM wheels that have been polished with the spokes painted orange. The paint scheme will be similar to the Gulf sponsored Mclaren F1 which is dark blue with a silver mustache stripe that is outlined in orange. The engine is a 347 with 8 barrel injection. My panel are just about done and will be powder coated before final instalation.

G

Hersh,

Just found this forum and am tickled pink.

I've had a GTD-40 under construction since March of '99. Maybe now that I'm retired I will be making some progress. TThe major problems encountered is the manual? from GTD. I fianlly discarded it and am forging ahead with no printed material. Now that I've pretty well figured out routing of cooling and a/c lines; mounting points for the a/c condenser, oil cooler, fuel pumps amd battery I feel that I am making some REAL progress. The engien is a 302/346 stroker that I had professionally built. With a 600 Holley, it dynoed at 365hp and 385 ft/lbs torque at 5500 rpm. We're estimating that with the Haltec weber stacked injection system to get about 50+ more hp with similar agins in torque. All of the parts to complete are on hand (except for removeable steering wheel) so am hoping to have it completed by Christmas. It has already been registered as a 1965 Ford GT40 and has a vanity plate that reads "65 GT40". The planned paint scheme is silver with red moustache and side stripes.

Ben Miller

Ben,
WOW! that motor sounds awsome. You obviously
like them ponies. Good color combo too.
You are a brave soul to put that kit together without any manual. I do hope you get it together at least before the next DVSFII in Columbus, Ohio. That is in June and many of us here are trying to have ours ready for that event. If thing gor right for all we should have five GT's there and if you come that will be six.
Ben, get some pictures up if you can, I would love to see the project.
I will post some as well as soon as I find a URL to put them on then I can post them here.

Hersh
smile.gif

G

Hersh,

As soon as I get the body back on the car I'll be putting soem pics up on our kit car club websire at www.okkitcar.org and more as I make some more progress.
Brave. not hardly. I'm taking the car to Jack Rees of RRR Roadsters in Tularosa, NM for him to complete as my back is in awful shape to be working on a car that low. I've been only working about an hour a day before the pain takes over. At the rate I was going, I'd be lucky to have it completed before year 2010. Jack is a personal friend who does great work so would hope to have the car back in Oklahoma before this Christmas

Ben

G

I found it is helpful to raise the car as high as possible. I Have really tall jack stands. Hershel has the ultimate which is a rotisiore. I think he just sits there in a comfortable chair and rotates the care to where he is working. That is the only way I can figure that he paneled an entire RF in a week and he still had time to post here every day!

Back