Rivets and Spacing

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm building a RF GT40. I know the rivets should be spaced about 4" or 100mm apart for most things, or less if you like, but how far from the frame rails and edge of the piece should they be? In the middle?

So, if I have a 2" frame rail and a panel attached to it do I want the rivet directly in the center of the rail? Or do I want to move it to the outside a bit? I would think to the outside, maybe 1/2" or so.

What is the word? Or am I getting my panties in a wad over nothing?

Ron

G

FOUR INCH SPACING SHOULD BE AGAINST THE LAW. MINE IS ONE INCH CENTERS. COME ON GUYS, IT IS ONLY DRILL BITS AND FOREARMS.
grin.gif

JAY (AFTER 2,700 RIVETS, CALL ME POPEYE)
UNITED WE STAND!!!!

Centering the rivets reduces the chances of matal fatigue due to thin material adjacent to the rivet due to stress. I say this based on aerospace manufacturing experience (I build rocket motors for NASA). Spacing between rivets should not be less than 2 inches.
grin.gif

Bill D
Los Angeles

I agree with Bill on this one, 2 " minumum spacing with adhesive on the rivet line for stressed bonded skin with a much higher strength than the rivets alone.

Ron,
Most of these panels are non stressed. They only act as barriers or covers. I Know they add rigidity to the frame as well but still they do no major support. The floor pan would be the only exception. I use the method of putting in the first and last rivet in a line then I half that with a rivet then I half them again and then again if needed. Mostly my rivets are about 2.5 to 3.5 inches apart. It just depends on the lengh of the area I am riveting. I also put them about a 1/2" from the outer edge. Some of the panels have 3/4" flanges so you have to put them close to the edge. I try and maintain some simetrical patterns on all the pieces so they look right. I feel that the floor pan should recieve more rivets. this will prevent the oil can effect on the pan when there is wieght introduced.

Hersh
smile.gif

G

I did the recomended 4 inch spacing and Robert Logan said to center them. On the 40x40mm that is about 3/4 inch from the side. If you do less than this remember to get more of those metric rivets or change drill bits. As Hershel said, these panels are not stressed and with the adhesive that is used the rivets are only nedded to set the adhesive. After the adhesive sets up you really don't even need the rivets. In fact there are places where only the adhesive is used.

Ron Earp

Admin
Bob and Hershal, thanks for the info.

Hershal, I like your method of putting them in - sounds a little less rigid. I suppose me stressing out about getting them all exactly 2", 3", or whatever is too much overkill? I have made a jig with 3" holes I was planning to use but the "halves" method sounds reasonable. What do you think is best?

Ron

Ron,
We are not building space ships . I space my rivets by eye. This is method is just fine because most people that look at the car don't go around measuring the rivet spacing. As long as it looks good the human eye then it's OK to me. I do pay a little more attention to the rivets that are visible. I try and keep a good symetrical
pattern so nothing sticks out. Most all of these panels are covered so it really won't matter a whole lot. The adhesive is what reall keeps these panel in place and prevents the panels from squeeking and making funny noises.

Hersh
smile.gif

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry Hersh....gotta disagree...call me anal, but I notice.
I measure all rivets out and mark with a straight edge. Spacing of 1.5" to 3", depending on location, most all at 2". To me, them being in a straight line is just as important as consistent spacing.

Attachments

• 03-04-27 04a.JPG
    03-04-27 04a.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 638

Ron Earp

Admin
Whew, that is an oldie!!!!! I ended up using my jig, which was a piece of folded aluminum with holes 1.5, 2, and 3 inches apart that I could space off the last one. Also was folded over so that it put them in the middle of a spar. Too bad I didn't keep that car.....

But I still remembered Hershal's comment to this day and it rings true sometimes on seeing what folks do on their cars - "We're not building space ships". One of the good ones I remember from the old days.

Whatca building there?

Even though this is not a GT40, we use 2 inches or less on center as well. Our assembler is an old airframe guy and he swears by this spacing.

evo5039.jpg

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Richard,

That is one helluva tool! And only forty bucks. I've never seen one of those before but will have to get one very shortly. Magic! Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Last edited:

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Ron,
That was a Daytona Coupe. It now lives in the Netherlands. (see Avitar)

Yep it was an oldie, but for some reason it was on page 2 of "All GT 40". Didn't even realize it until after I had replied. Felt a little silly afterwards, kinda figured the input had to be irrelivant by now........:)

Which rivet and tool do you use ?

Can somebody show which kind of rivets you use and the tool as well.
I suppose they are not the standard POP rivet but aircraft one.
Any source would be welcome also. THANKS !

Back