Automatics in GT-40's

G

Automatics in GT-40\'s

While the subject of transaxels is a hot one has anyone taken the easy way out and used one of the many automatic front wheel drive units aft? Many combos come to my mine, from early 70s Toros into todays high performance combos. Has anyone tried them on todays kits? I am trying to update my ancient knowledge bank here. Seems to me this would be a good way to make a luxury touring GT-40. Good forum format BTW.
cobrashock

Re: Automatics in GT-40\'s

Automatic transaxles from front wheel drive cars would not work in a GT40. This is because these units mount the engine either on top of the unit, or transverse.

Bill D
Los Angeles, CA

G

For cars that use the Audi 5 or 6 speed Transaxle such as GTD, CAV and Roaring forties, you should be able to use the automatics that came in the same Audi cars.

Ron Earp

Admin

Correct! My wife has a 2001 Audi A4 Tiptronic and I've looked at the transaxle - not that much different from the transaxle that we're using in the RF GT40. Definitely adaptable - no question.

And, the unit is controlled by a separate microprocessor so you could end up with a tiptronic 5 speed if you're careful. I've thought about it while driving that car but the Tiptronics are just not much fun.

You'd have to get a new torque converter and input to the trans for sure. But doable if you're clutch challenged.

Ron

G

I have heard that the older ones from the Audi 5000's will go right in.

Ron Earp

Admin

Yep I would suspect the older ones would be a perfect fit. I was just thinking newer for the 5sp etc.

Hey all, if the A4 autos look like they'll
fit, what about the newer 5 spds? Is there
a 6 spd as well?

If all else fails, I'll contact some
acquaintances in the UK and look for a Euro
3U box or maybe a Euro 6spd.

Ian

G

Remember Chrysler LHs use longitudinal V6 with automatic. Their "Autostick" appears to be a simple switch added to standard 4 speed. I have a '93 Concorde 3.5 (214 hp) with 150,000 on it that I love cuz of its interior room. It is snappy in 3500 lb car and very durable. The newer 300M unit is 263 hp I believe. As a mutant (6'6") I seem drawn to lowslung cars. Had a Pantera that my friends howled at watching me get in and out of. I plan to alter my GTD to automatic cuz tired of shifting, knee torture, blown shifts, advancing age, etc. I am very interested in actual info on completed cars with automatics and hope our British colleagues can jump in and offer hard data to supplement the anecdotal reports. Who's got one and how does it hold up??? Earlier Audi automatics are dirt cheap but notoriously weak. Can they be beefed up simply? What about newer ones and complications with electronic controls, computer interfaces? Finally, those familiar with Panteras may recall Hall Pantera selling ZF automatics seveal years ago. The ZF folks (RBT Trans) deny any knowledge of such a unit. Please keep this thread running for us old guys and mutants!!

Thanx,
Kevin

G

Remember Chrysler LHs use longitudinal V6 with automatic. Their "Autostick" appears to be a simple switch added to standard 4 speed. I have a '93 Concorde 3.5 (214 hp) with 150,000 on it that I love cuz of its interior room. It is snappy in 3500 lb car and very durable. The newer 300M unit is 263 hp I believe. As a mutant (6'6") I seem drawn to lowslung cars. Had a Pantera that my friends howled at watching me get in and out of. I plan to alter my GTD to automatic cuz tired of shifting, knee torture, blown shifts, advancing age, etc. I am very interested in actual info on completed cars with automatics and hope our British colleagues can jump in and offer hard data to supplement the anecdotal reports. Who's got one and how does it hold up??? Earlier Audi automatics are dirt cheap but notoriously weak. Can they be beefed up simply? What about newer ones and complications with electronic controls, computer interfaces? Finally, those familiar with Panteras may recall Hall Pantera selling ZF automatics seveal years ago. The ZF folks (RBT Trans) deny any knowledge of such a unit. Please keep this thread running for us old guys and mutants!!

Thanx,
Kevin

G

The newer type 5 speed and 6 speed is the Audi 01E type. This is a very good transmission and can handle more HP and torque. The 01E is used in the new larger Audi's like the A8 and A6. One from a V8 or W12 A8 would probably have gearing to our liking. The biggest problem with this trans is that it was never been sold as a 2WD version in the U.S. (only Quatro). However 2WD versions are available in Europe. I have looked at the gearing and found that the six speed only offers more shifting which may not be nesessary with the torque of our motors. The 01E looks like the earlier 016 but more beefy all around.

G

What happened to Toro-Caddy front wheel drive setups used in Toros and El's of the 70's? Memory serves me right many kit a-mid ship cars used this setup and I remember them being used on a few gt-40's. This transaxle used a 400/350 turbo and could be adapted to any GM smallblock (even Fords)and was used back then by Murader and Mid Engineering I think. I assume that they were heavy. This also brings me to the Caddy Seville(sp?)setup. Anyone out there know about this stuff?
cobrashoch

Boys,

In the early 90s Audi announced that none of their cars over 200HP would be sold in 2WD trim. That is our problem... :)
In theory a 2WD diesel (pdTDI) would be the best choice (~400Nm and with a decent chipset they can handle over 500Nm as well + they are long geared). The newer ones were 6 speed. Engines that used them are the 1.9 and 2.5 straight5 and V6.

t.

I was asked to build a Automatic GTD for a guy who had lost a leg in a motorcycle crash once, but then his wife decided that, with his accident record, getting himself in and out of a GT40 in a hurry would not be safe and the project stopped there. Frank

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I'm still curious about the reference to an automatic ZF.

Anyone?

Doug

paddle shifters would be a cool update... thats all you see in the top class race cars nowadays...

stick shifting is like reaching down on a bike's downtube to shift gears on a road bicycle vs brake lever shifting...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
My interest was more in the absence of a clutch. Like you, though, I like paddle shifters on cars and STI shifters on bicycles!

Doug

YerDugliness said:
My interest was more in the absence of a clutch. Like you, though, I like paddle shifters on cars and STI shifters on bicycles!

Doug

Why dont you graft a stockcar auto that discards the converter and uses a bypass tap for neutral on to an IRS Quick change centre section. You can buy them in a 'shorty' version which would suit the GT40 application. At least the shifter would be a no-brainer! Just make an extended input shaft/pump drive and your done. We ran one in a 406ci C******** with no problems ( thats the tranny in normal configuration)

Jac Mac

KEP says that the Audi 5000 auto transaxle is a metric copy of the Ford C4. As such I would think it would be fairly durable, but everything I have heard says they aren't. Does anyone have any further information about these or are any of the later automatic transaxles configured for 2WD so that they would be useable in a mid-engine installation? The Toronado is very heavy and places the engine too high and to the rear so that it actually sits directly above the axle. That leaves more weight behind the axle than in front of it. The Chrysler units might have some promise if they could be adapted to other engines, especially a V8.

The Chrysler units should be very available. They were in the Intrepids which were famous for sludging up with low miles. I believe they were also in a lot of their minivans.

Back