RIVNUTS !!!

What a gimmick !
I went down to my local supplier for some of these wonderful little pearls and found out that they cost about the same as pearls, no I think pearls might be cheaper.
I bought 4 packs with 20 in a pack. They were $3.55 per pack !. Then the guy says to me, "how are you installing these things ? So i told him that I have this little bolt and nut that fits together and it tightens up in the hole when you tighten the nut. He says to " Man you are gonna be there all day putting these in that way." I'm curoius now and ask what he recommends. Well he commences to bring out this little box with what looks like a rivet gun. "WOW"! I say.
How does that work ? He shows me the thing has different sizes for the different rivnuts. "Well", I say, "how much?" He says they are on sale for $65.00. SIXTY FIVE DOLLARS !!!:EEK: Man if thats a sale I don't want to know the regular price!
He says I'll give you an additional 15% off
cause you bought so many rivnuts. The total bill came to $97.58. Well, I take my medicine and pay the man. I feel wierd walking out to my car after paying for this little bag of stuff. You know the feeling, like you just took the pipe.
I guess in the long run I will be happy I bought them. I hope so......

Hersh
smile.gif

Ron,
I bought the 10-32's . They are the closest to the M-4's that Robert uses. I also got an assortment of different sizes just in case I might want to use them some where else.

Hersh
smile.gif

G

Ron,

When you find the most reasonable supplier ... how about posting the information?

thanks,

G

I also used the 10-32 where they call for M4. Like most americans I am not interested in anything metric. Instead of a gun I bought a tool that is cheaper and works good for the number of riv-nuts that we have to put in. Riv-nuts call it there field repair tool.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hershal,

What size riv nuts are you using? I've got to buy a bunch of those, with no aircraft supply places I am gonna check with mail ordering them.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks! That is the best place I've seen to get stuff, and they've a nice assortment. Will keep and use the reference for lots of future use.

R

G

When using Riv-nuts remember to also get the right working depth for the thickness of the material you are putting them into. It is also easy to put them in too tight which will distort the threads. It is a good idea to put a drop of cutting oil on a tap and run it through them after you have installed them.

G

Guys,

Another source ... MSC has rivet nuts (10-32s are abt $15.00 a 100. The sell the installation tool for 8's and 10's at a cost of about $60.

Their selection doesn't include the sealed nuts that are found at McMaster-Carr ... but they are in general a little cheaper.

G

Hersh,
I have been getting rivnuts (M4) from "Textron Fastenings" here in Australia. I believe they are a USA based company and i am sure you would be able to get them mail order. I have been paying just over AU$19.00 per 100 !! Sounds cheap compared to what you are putting up with.
Cheers,
Rick Virago
cool.gif

Thanks Rick,
I have decided that rivnuts are not for me!
Being familiar with the aviation industry and building several experimental aircraft, I have decided to go with anchor nut plates.
These little babies are just what the doctor ordered. I just install a few that I had on hand and they work much better.
I was unable to master the technic required to get those F@#*%# rivnuts to work properly.
I have a smashed thumb and a few holes bigger than I needed to prove it!
grin.gif
Another plus is they cost about half as much and much more user friendly. Those stupid thing cost me a half days work!
mad.gif

Well, I'll be back at it tomorrow with a better attitude !
wink.gif
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Hersh,

The engine builder I'm talking to is also a
plane mechanic/pilot. He pretty much said
the same thing, if you can reach the both
sides of the panel, go with anchor plates or
cam locks. Rivnuts are good for locations
where you can't reach the both sides, but
they will loosen with time.

Ian

OK guys I got another news flash for you. I could kick myself for not thinking of this sooner...Oh well, that's what you get for not thinking outside the box.
It seems that you only need 3/32's of an inch thickness to drill and tap a hole for a 10-32 screw. Well, that's what I did and it works the best of all the other methods. I have most of them in place and they tighten up real good. If they do fail I will stick a rivet in it. I'll drill them out if it comes to that!
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Back