US Titles

Chris,
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely call
Dan later today.
International Title Service of Las Vegas
will title a car with only a bill of sale.
The question is will they title a 2001-2 as
a 1965, so we can avoid emissions and bumper
restrictions.
I will be contacting ITS today as well.
I will let you know what I find out.

Bill
DRB 0035

cool.gif

Ron,
I spoke to Dan Medwin of US Titles of Rochester, N.Y. today. He said there would
be no problem titling my car as a 1965-66-67
Ford coupe or Ford GT40. Registered as one of those years, the car doesn't require
bumpers,emissions, or even a VIN number!
$350 covers the costs. That's a small price to pay for peace of mind. It almost sounds too good to be true. I will keep you posted.

Regards,
Bill
DRB GT40/0035

grin.gif
grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Keep in mind it might be too good to be true. Two other sources offered the same thing to me, but, the NC DMV will not accept the titles.

I'm still working out how this is figured out at the DMW or what sets it off but it is definitely true. The Cobra guys in NC are worked up (old posts on Cobra Forum) and there is not a solution yet.

I'm checking into some other things to try and get a good solution - there is no way a GT40 will pass any current bumper heights, light heights, etc. And just fuel injection with cats won't guarentee passing the emission portion either.

Before anyone gets fired up about discussing this in a forum I've already checked the registration list (195 people) we've got no DMV people here. Yes, there might be workers lurking but they're not going to have any appreciable affect on the slow turning wheels of buracracy.

These are just the difficult topics that people need addressed that are pretty much non-discussable on the Cobra boards since the topics get killed almost immediately.

R

G

Ron,
When I spoke with Dan at US titles he was using out of state titles. These titles are original based titles not reconstructed. As an out of state title the GT-40 would be called a 65 2 door coupe. This does discribe this car right. In PA I will not have to get the exaust sniffed for emisions. But if it is titled as a 65 it would have to pass have proper singals and safty equipment that was required.In PA we have yearly inspections done by mechanics that have state regs. The GT-40 will be pushing the limit. The biggest problem is the scrub line and vertical visibly windsheild 12". Well got to run. I will try to post more later.
Best regards,
Chris Waldemarson

Gordy

Lifetime Supporter
I completed an FFR Cobra about two years ago and used a company out of Alabama for the title work. Couldn't have been easier. Look them up at www.Titlesunlimited.com. You can download the paperwork and they are the least expensive by far. Had no trouble at our DMV in Michigan, and plan on using them again on my GTD40 when it's completed next spring.

G

The method I used to title my Cobra was to
purchase a dash from a 65 Ford sedan in a junkyard for $ 50. I took the VIN tag off the dash and riveted it to my Cobra chassis, and then obtained a title for $ 150 from Broadway title company. I had no problem with
PA accepting this title. I've not tried to go through inspection yet, but I don't anticpate a problem since my area of PA
does not require emmissions testing.

MikeD

MikeD,

Just thought you might want to know that
it is a federal offense to alter a VIN#.
I'd keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't
come back to haunt you!

Bill
DRB GT40/0035

G

Bill,
I really do not understand how they get new titles to read as old titles if that is what he is doing. From what he told me that I could use the engine block #'s and that is how my title would come back with these number's on the title. One of these days I will call him when I get closer to completion. If you here anything else, please post it.

Regards
Chris

G

I emailed the people at Titles Unlimited Inc. they said "IF YOU TELL US ITS A KIT CAR I HAVE TO TELL YOU I CAN NOT DO A KIT" But it sort of sounded like if I didn't say it was a kit car they could get me a title.

I've heard of these places before, they give you a title through the mail, sight unseen.

the web page says "our info package can be sent if you email" I did and they said "access the info package via the web site"

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: Kalun D ]

G

I registered my GTD through what used to be U.S> Auto & Title Co (Now U/S? Titel Service) and it was very quick and painless. They do not issue you a title but, rather, a registration form from (Now Georgia, then New Hampshire) as neither state issues titles for cars older than, I think, 1985. I would suggest that you have soem kind of VIN# , eitehr oen issued by the kit manufacturer or make one up as you will probably have a VIN Number inspection as part of the registration process. Since GTD had only provided me a 5 digit # stamped into the chassis, I added 12 moer to come up with "GT40PMK1BBFM18089" which is, of course, GT40P Mark 1B BFM (My Initials) and the 5 digit GTD serial number. I had a local trophy shop make me up a couple of VIN plates, one for the engine compartemnt and another for the top of the dash. I'm in Oklahoma and your state might have some other requirements but the registration/title bit is legal in all states.

Back