A little input please....

Well I have measured and researched for a tilt column in the GT. So here's the question. Do you think it will help in the entry and exit and make it better for long distance driving. Being original is not my priority. There is a few pluses. The turn signal lever and ignition would be on the column. The steering wheel will still be the same. If I do this it will be a no sweat install. Probably about three hours work.

Hersh
smile.gif

G

Considering the originals don't even have adjustable seats, tilt steering seems... well... each to his own. That said the mechanism in say a Honda that pivots at the firewall and makes use of an existing ujoint is acceptable in that it is pretty light. A domestic unit that pivots right behind the wheel is HEAVY and... nuff said. I never did like having the view of the gauges blocked either which seems to happen with most tilt units. It all depends on YOUR priorities.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hershal,

You may be sorry you asked for input
smile.gif
!

For my opinion I'd say no tilt steering. Especially if you use a GM column with GM's typically cheap switchgear and feel on the stalk. I've never cared for GM's idea of mounting 10 different functions on the turn signal approach. I'm just going on what I've seen in some street cars around here.

That said, how about a removable wheel? There are a couple of nice ones made that work with the Moto Lita wheel. They'd gain ease of entry/exit and have a nice "race" feel.

But, that is just my opinion of course - I think anything you end up adapting will look first rate!

Ron

Of course, you guys even drive on the wrong side of the road, let alone have the wheel and gearlever on the wrong side of the car, so how can you talk of originality anyway! For my money, forget all about adjustable wheel angles, just learn to live with the car, just as you did with your wife!

Summit makes a nice quick release steering wheel hub #SUM-G7850 it is $70 and will look and function much better.

Why not position the steering column with shims to fit. Since it's unlikely that anyone else will drive the car, there really isn't any need for an adjustable steering column. Is there?

Bill D
Los Angeles, CA

Hershal,

FYI that's what Jay and I went with. Jay is going to need all the help he can get to get in this Beast.

Keith

Ron Earp

Admin
I agree with Bill on the position too. I was going to basically build the car to suit me - thus no adjustable column. I would like to incorporate some sliding seats though, I'd like for others to be able to drive it for at least a few miles.

Ron

You got that right Wayne. Cruise will most definetly be on my car. How is yours coming? have you had the chance to drive it yet. If so please give us the details.

Hersh
smile.gif

I like the idea of a removable steering wheel. Not only will it help entering and exiting the car, but can be used as a theft deterent. Just remove the steering wheel and lock it in the front area.

Bill D

Plan to use a removable wheel with a custom switch pod mounted to the wheel for turn signals, horn, and hi/low beams. The switch pod will plug into a special connector in the dash so the wheel can be unplugged and removed. All 4 functions can be activated with your thumb. Turn signals will be self cancelling based on steering angle and direction of rotation of the wheel. System is microprocessor based and all built from scratch. Also putting a wiper delay system in the same microprocessor. I've been working on this project since about April (gave me something to do while waiting for the car). It's just about complete. Should be able to post pics soon.

Dave

Back