Insurance

I've got a question about insurance. My current insurance company will only insure a "kit" car for a maximum of $35,000. Has anyone else had any difficulty getting their car insured? Any recommendations on insuring/registering it (Companies that insure collector cars, etc.)
Thanks,
John

G

In the UK we use AON who I beleive are an international company. They have a classics department and give very good rates. The value limit has yet to be mentioned to me and my car is insured for more than $35,000. Their standard cover also includes some track use for testing but not competition.

Thanks for the info. Please let me know if there is a web site or a # to call. Any more input would be greatly appreciated.
John

John, It may be valuable to pick up a copy of Hemming's Motor News. It's been a while but I think there are advertisements for insurance companies which offer unique coverage to owners with cars like ours. Brian

G

Try looking for a "Stated Value" policy. You get to state the value. Rates will depend on what you state and the number of miles driven.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
For current GT40 owners in Australia (original &/or replica), what insurance options are there available?
confused.gif

Do insurance companies cover track testing also?

G

Try ANPAC if they are available in your area as they offer a stated value policy and will insure almost anything under their CHROME coverage. Rates are surprisingly reasonable and they insured my GT while its under construction with the value increasing as the car nears completion with a final appraised value of $104,500. There are a few restrictions, ie; less than 7,500 miles per year and no competition coverage. On completion my gt40 will run me around $450-500 a year. Their rates were so good that I trransfered the coverage on the family cars and my Cobra as well as my home owners policy. Go three years without a claim and you get back 25% of the total premiums paid during the first uear of coverage. Their web site is www.anpac.com. Once there click on auto and then specialty cars.
Hope this helps someone.

Thanks Ben, I will check them out. The only thing is I can't imagine only driving 7500 miles a year. The coverage during the build is nice though.
Thanks again,
John

G

haggerty

another good company. I was just hit by an uninsurred motorist. The adjuster looked at the car a week ago. Got the check today full price i though the deductable would come into play. The proof of a good company is how they respond not just their premiums. Haggerty so far has performed as expected

Lloyd waiting for era to build my GT40

For Australian owners (Bill) most enthusiast-based insurance companies - eg Unique, Shannons, Virgil etc - will accomodate to any reasonable value.

The premiums differ quite significantly depending upon your usage, requirements and age so shop around. Expect to pay about $800 plus p/a. My experience has been to avoid the "big four" insurance companies when it comes to special interest cars.

Also, no Aussie companies will currently insure against "speed" based activities on the race track
frown.gif
but will allow casual track drives - don't ask me what qualifies as a speed based activity.

-------------

RF40 - Chassis 18

G

7500 miles a year bully bully you buy a second speedometer for $120 bucks or use a Stewart Warner and turn it back with a chordless drill (I swear it works) Not that ive done this or anything but others have told me this.

Back