The next things ... seats

G

Guys,

Am hoping to get the car on the suspension, install the engine and gearbox, the instruments, the steering, and the coolant systems between now and the spring.

At that point, the next thing will be seats.

What are the options for nice, leather seats done similarly to the originals?

Sure appreciate it guys!

I make replica GT40 seats aimed primarily for the GTD. These are copied from the original Ford France Le mans car, and are leather on aluminium base, trimmed exactly as the originals even down to the exact number of brass eyelet holes.They are also designed to get the maximum head clearance to roof which is important when wearing a helmet.They are expensive!but the best you can get!Frank Catt

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Mike,

I've been wondering how things were coming with yours.

You may have missed it but Tornado's ownered offers to sell parts to other makes/builds and they do have leather seats. You've seen mine produced by Roaring Forties, very accurate and excellent quality, RF might sell to you as well but I do not know.

I'd check those two and if they're not paltable then I'd try DC&O and New Zealand Replication.

Ron

Hi Mike

Check your e-mail for photo of Franks seat's I think that they are the very best available

Chris Melia

G

Something you may like to incorporate into your seats which ever set you get.

Sparco do an adjustable lumbar support cushion. It is about A4 size and is inflatable and deflatable to suit the seat user.

I have one fitted into the lining of my drivers seat and it gives excellent additional support. Cost is about £30 here.

Franks seats are good but check the central tunnel situation. The GTD does not have anything other than the hand brake running down the centre line of the car. From what I have seen other makes have gear selector rods or water pipes there. This could be a problem but nothing is impossible.

Ali framed seats would be good as you will save quite a lot of weight.

Another option is actually to have a foam seat moulded to your body and then covered. Your harness belts holds you and the seat in. Also a lot cheaper than full blown seats.

Some original cars have clip in seats made from foam with some stiffening boards behind the drivers back. These were black nylon covered with the brass rings. An early form of the moulded foam seat idea?

Hope this is of help.

Malcolm

G

Frank,

Got the picture from Chris ... very nice!

May need to provide width dimension as my car has a console and center tunnel.

Can you e-mail me some estimate of the cost of your seats? May be looking for such goodies in the spring. (I hope!)

thanks,

G

Hey Frank, why not just post the pic to this site so everyone can see?

Hi Hotshot

Check your e-mail for photo of Franks Seats

Chris Melia
grin.gif
grin.gif

G

Hey Chris, why don't you post a copy of that picture on this site so everyone can see it?
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: Malcolm M ]

Malcolm

Im like Frank if you e-mail me I will send you the Image of the seats and you can post it.

Chris
confused.gif

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Hi everyone

We also manufacture replica seats in both vynil and leather complete with the 66 brass rings. If you are interested in further details drop me a line.

Thanks

Andy - Tornado

Thanks for posting the pictures Paul, I still havent found out how to do it! The seats are made in leather on a Fabricated Aluminium base and are very lowgiving maximum headroom. As these seats are bespoke made, they can be made at any size or angle to suit the individual,some people(and some cars)are very odd shapes!Further information on request. Frank

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I know this is an old thread, but can anyone help me get the eyelets (are they brass or silver)? I am in the process of getting my seats recovered and need to obtain the eyelets to finish the centre squab. Sizes might help.
Frank/Andy do you sell the eyelets seperately?

Back