Question for UK hill climbers...

I really enjoyed the pictures of the hillclimbs. So I got to thinking about how you guys arrange these events there. We don't have any club type hill climb events that I am aware of. I think they would be alot of fun. Do you guys get a permit to close off a road for the day or are they private property. How do you work out the insurance problem.
Chris, you seem to know about this stuff so
how's it work? Maybe in the future our club here in Arizona can sponsor a hill climb. We sure have plenty of hills (mountains) !!

Hersh
smile.gif

Hill climbing????

First you get me on the road course, and let me scare myself silly....

NOW...HILL CLIMBING.

Mike

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: mikiec ]

Hi Hersh,
Good to see you're interested in the the UK Hill Climb series - here are a few details to give an introduction - no doubt a fellow competitor will enlighten you further in due course.

Firstly, the hill climbs are as they sound, you start at one point and drive to another which is generally at least 100m higher than the start. Most uk climbs are on private roads, often the long winding drives to stately homes which gives spectators a great view and good photo opportunities. ALL events are strictly controlled by the Motor Sports Association (MSA) and each venue will have it's own venue license. This governs specifics about start/finish position and also number of marshall points, straw bales, safety fencing etc etc etc.

Events are usually organised by Motor Clubs which run/manage the event under the careful/helpful eye of the MSA.

All vehicles are scrutineered before practice for both safety and classification.

Some people take out special insurance for these competetive events, which can be quite reasonable as cars run one by one in sequence, so mistakes are usually due to driver error (RED MIST!!) Personally we don't, preferring instead to drive to perhaps 9/10ths most of the time.

You nearly always get a wide range of cars ranging from small comapacts with 50-60bhp, up to Custom built single seaters which are often fitted with ex formula 1 engines developing 600/700?bhp - AWESOME!!

We also venture to the Isle-Of-Man (aka TT Race fame) where they are far more loving of motorsport in that they regularly close sections of road for speed/hill climb events. Over there, there is the added bonus that once 'out of town', there are NO speed restrictions (providing you are sensible about it) so the 5km across the moutain road can give some great driving and handling experience. We have some excellent 'in-car' footage from many of these events and I will hopefully post some soon.

As a club (GTD-40 Car Club), we do not get too serious with the competition as we all want to have fun and develop the 40's further. Having said that though, we are no snails either and are often holding our own against many favoured classes (Porsche / Ferrari) etc, especially on the longer/steeper climb's where power counts.

Hope this gives an insight

regards

Paul Thompson
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: P Thompson ]

Hershal,

It's a shame that Pike's Peak isn't smooth

asphalt with guard rails. Can you imagine

running that road in a GT40? Now, that would

be a hillclimb!

Bill

Thanks guys for the informative responses.
P.Thompson. I hope the time comes when we get to where you guys are in these kind of compitions. If and when I take a trip over to the UK, I hope there are some events happening while I'm there.
Greg C. that is way cool ! I am going to try and make it to the Virginia city Hillclimb even If I just get to spectate. It will be a good education. I loved the way they describe the drive up the hill. If my GT40 is done by then I will take it.
Bill, Pikes peak would most definetly be the best with asphalt. I really like watching those guys charge that hill though with the dirt flying. I certainly wouldn't want to do it in the GT.

MikieC, I think a road trip to Virginia City is in order for next year!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

P Thompson

Just curious, how do the Ultima cars do against the GT40's? Looking at building one.

Thanks,

Keith

P Thompson

Just curious, how do the Ultima cars do against the GT40's? Looking at building one.

Thanks,

Keith

Kieth,
I have only seen two ultimas in action and from what I saw they stuck to the track like a slot car. They are way lighter and I think the CG is way lower than a GT. My guess is they would do much better than a GT40 on most tracks.

Hersh
smile.gif

hershal if you are referring to the english ultima gtr these are 43 inches high with 5 inch ground clearance regards

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: norman falkiner ]

G

For more on Virginia City go to http://www.nsxfiles.com/stories.htm

His videos (they are amateur quality) show a lot of the course in his NSX, as well as the aftermath of a Ford powered Ultima going over the side. It wasn't nice but the roll cage did its job and the driver wasn't seriously hurt. But the car was just a ball of twisted metal, no body left, engine hundred yards from the cage, no suspension left...

Hopefully they still have it next year, locals are not too fond of it.

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Greg C ]

G

Thanks Paul, you beat me to the repsonse, although to make you giggle, I had written another whopper reply only to have the flipping computer disconnect the link. Aaaaagh! Maybe Ron rigged it to happen to stop me from waffling on!

On the Ultima question, if you're looking at one to build really pay close attention to the inside of the front wheel arch. There is zippo clearance to the body and wheel where the headlights go. The new model was meant to reduce this problem but I think it still exists. This is why they ran smaller front wheels than at the back. Also check clearances on full lock. My mate had to raise the front ride height to get it to clear and it started looking daft. Also they seem to push in corners a bit from what I have heard. So really talk to owners to find out if this is really the case and what the solutions are, if any. There is an owners club out there somewhere run by a chap called Paul Buck.

As to seeing them on the hills or at sprints, never have done. Seen a few at track days and one of our members has a superb GTR that he uses regularly. In fact he built himself a spare and then I think sold his GT40. Why?

However given the choice, I will always pick my 40 over the Ultima both from a charisma point of view and driving point of view. I think it is also a tougher built car. However if you prefer modern stuff then the Ultima is more suited.

Malcolm

G

Hersh

If you are coming to UK let us know and we can liase to see if there is a chance to a) meet for a drink, b) show you our cars and c) see if there is any event on for you to come see. Mind you last yank I made the offer too stayed three weeks! Eeeeeek.

Malcolm

Hi Hersh, Malc and all,
The Ultima that Malcolm mentions belongs to club member Keith Baker and I posted some jpg's of it below.

Ultima%201.JPG

It is rather special with a well sorted Chevy, Air Jack's, dry sump etc etc.

Ultima%202.JPG

Keith I believe, uses it regularly on Track / test days, especially Brands Hatch and it is very quick. Speaking to him recently he is looking to develop the engine further using possibly Motec ECU and Kinsler throttle bodies as we do on Roy's 40.

Ultima%203.JPG

Hope you like the pic's - wait till you see the Hillclimb footage once uploaded. If you do come to the UK, as Malc say's, let us know as I'm sure we could give you a ride you would remember for some time....

regards

Paul Thompson
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Hey Malcolm!, I thought you didn't mind having me over, of course I probably tripled your weekly food bill....
Hershal, the trip to the UK would be worth ten times whatever it cost to get over there. (My buddies in the UK don't know it, but I'm trying to get back over there on business, I'll sneak up on em!). If you meet up with he GTD club and get a ride, I promise you will never forget it. Be nice though, take them to a nice pub lunch for their troubles...
Got my latest club mag from the GTD club in the mail yesterday. Cover spread is 25 as in TWENTY FIVE GT40 on the grid @ Goodwood. The mag itself is about 45 pages, it is by no means a newsletter. However, I have dibs on the spare parts board, I still need a bunch of stuff to get my car on the road.. Brian

Thanks Paul and Malc,
I really must make it a priority to get over there. It sounds like your three week Guest Brian didn't want to leave.
wink.gif
Brian, if I was having that much fun I wouldn't want to leave either and I'm retired so I can stay alot longer.
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I also would like to invite you folks over here and if you get to Arizona I have a guest house that is empty most times and you are welcome to it for your stay. I only live 12 miles from the local track and only 8 miles from Phoenix Intnl Race track. So there should be plenty to see and do here.
That Ultima of Kieth's looks mean. Of course I'm a little partial to Chevy power as thats whats in my Cobra.

Hersh
smile.gif

[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: Hershal Byrd ]

G

Oh shoot guys, when Wendy hears about this as a possible itinary for our intended trip to the states (a little way off at present) she's gonna kill me! Maybe if I let her beat me on the track just once it might help....

Malcolm M
grin.gif

Ps No chance of that!

Hi Malc,
Just to 'jog' your memory I have posted below a copy of the results for the Brighton Speed Trials 2001 -
Brighton%202001.JPG

Yes, that's your wife - Wendy, finishing four places ABOVE you in the results table in her Lotus pictured below...
Wendy%20Lotus.JPG

Never, 'dis' your wife.. ho ho ho ho...
(just having some fun)

Malcolm, sounds like when you are here a road trip is in the works!!!I knew I needed a trailer for something.
Brian

Back