Roll Cages

Hi, would anybody have details on roll cages fitted to original, or replica GT40's?
many thanks
Robert
Lawrence

blush.gif
frown.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif

G

I was a pit steward at the 1965 Daytona Continental 24 hr race ... the Ford Mk II's had a roll cage. Two tubes (one on each side) were layed at about the level of the door. they came up the inside of the front window pillar and each swept inward (overhead) at the door.

I don't remember the interior configuration.

As well, I vaguely remember that all Ford GT's did have roll cages.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
To Robert Lawrence,
I have a large selection of books with many original photographs. You are most welcome to come and have a look. At Roaring Forties we have just completed a full and half cage for our cars. Again you are most welcome to take a look.
Best wishes, Robert Logan

Question: Does the roll cage follow the shape and contour of the Spider?

Bill D

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Bill D ]

G

GTD cars can get a cage fitted. A number of competitive members have them. Basically they follow what you US guys call the spider and what we call the centre section. There is also the option of what could be referred to a half cage being two added struts in the engine bay to support the integral hoop which is part of the chassis. These struts are easy to fab yourself to a good standard. Problems encountered with a full cage are forward visibilty where the tubes curve round at the top of the windscreen. The rising tubes to the side ie where the doors hinges are, need to have a modification to the dashboard to make it fit properly. However you only have one life and this kind of safety extra is perhaps worth it if you drive like a banshee.
Malcolm

G

I have heard that the new cav has a built in roll bar and side impact protection.
Malcolm I hope you never hear the cry of the BANSHEE.

Hi alll, does anybody have figures on the effects of beam stiffness and torsional rigidity caused by adding full or half cages?
Rob

confused.gif

G

Chris
That is one sweet looking chassis.Who is RML, really like the cage the looks of the front control arms,basically the whole car.Any info would be great.

RML is Ray Mallock Limited. They made a
highly accurate GT40 replica in the early
90's. They no longer make 'em, but I
contacted them a year ago, and they still had
the factory demo. They asked if I wanted to
buy it, but I was not (nor still am)
financially capable of said purchase.
In 1992 I believe it cost around $120K US.

I can hunt up contact info if anyone is
interested.

Ian

Hi All

These photos were taken this year at RML and there is talk of more 40's to come. I think the demo cars are for sale at £60,000

Chris

Back