New Ford GT40

G

Wasn't the GT90 meant to be the 90's new GT40? That was similar to the picture posted here but lots of triangular shapes on the body ie around exhaust etc. Had a glass roof which they worried about cracking from the engine's 700 bhp via 2 turbo's. This picture looks a lot better.

Malcolm

G

Interesting car, but the article said the construction was probably going to be contracted out to Pinfarina in Europe. I could be wrong and this is totaly my opinion, but it doesn't look like something that Pinfarina would do.

Malcom you are correct the GT90 was the origional idea for a replacement....I guess we will se if this one makes it any farther

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The "concept drawing" in Road & Track a couple of months ago was quite nice, I'm not sure about this show car.....not enough "40 DNA" for my tastes, neat none the less, but there are some styling clues that need to be there to be a "descendant" of the original.

One of the all time classic designs that still looks good almost 40 years later. Not many can say that.

Rick

G

Not a bad looking car but it is a concept none the less the picture tells it all if the suspension moved more than 1/2 inch the tires would hit the fender wells. Probably not going to see this in the showrooms soon.

G

Far as I'm concerned, the original Mark I looks much better, even today, heck, especially today.

Tom T.

G

Back in the August 2001 issue of Automobile Magazine (page 24) there was an article on how Ford designers were conjuring up a new performance-car concept inspired by the 60's GT40. In the article was a picture of an original GT40, looks like car #1008 but I'm not sure. The project was named Petunia and they were expecting to unveil the car at the January 2002 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. I could not find any further information on the subject "UNTIL" last month in Hot Rod Magazine, there was an interview with John Coletti of Ford. The interview was not related to the GT40, but the photo of John Coletti that went along with the article was of him standing next to the same GT40 that was in the August 2001 article. I have e-mailed Hot Rod Magazine to see if they can provide any additional info, but in the meantime if anyone out there knows anything, please share with the rest of us.

Paul Campoli
Toronto, Canada

It bears little resemblance but here is an article with photos on Blue Oval News

gt40_successor.jpg
Blue Oval News

I agree with Tom. That thing has a nose problem. I think a lot more retro designs are on the way of many past cars. Mainly this is occuring because of Chryslers success with the Viper and the PT cruiser.
Ford has jumped on the wagon with the new T bird and the 49. Chevy is releasing their version of the PT cruiser this Spring. I hope they keep it up. I would love to see a 66 Mustang fastback retro designed.I would buy it in a flash.

Hersh
smile.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Hi all,
I have been told about a GT40 replacement under construction almost a year ago. The code name for the car was called after a flower , clemetis I think. I supose that this is it. A little , NO a lot of disappointment from this GT40 nut.
I was led to believe that the GT90 was a design exercise and also a way to use up non ordered XK220 chassis. I heard that the front and rear sections were removed and a body attached. I realy liked the GT90 and have the required 1/18th scale model. As a design project it was well worked out and without the turbos still had great power.

The major problem on this web site is that we all have only eyes for the "Siren from Slough" and like all besotted males we only have eyes for ONE !!!!!

Best wishes, Robert

G

anybody ahs pictures of a GT90? i remember i saw it years ago at the miami beach convention center car show but i never took any pictures. it would be nice to see it again. anybody with pictures?

thanks

luis

Where have all the good automotive designers gone? 90% of all the new stuff on the roads is UGLY. They must run out of development money halfway back the car. If the front end looks good, the back end is hideous. Some new vehicles look like they were designed for a 1970 B sci fi movie...Transformers or something. The stuff in the magazines from the new car shows is enough to make you sick. Give me the old GT40 body style any day. It may be 35+ years old, but it looks great and turns as many heads today as it did then.
Dave

Dave,

I couldn't agree more... Perhaps if Ford
took the front end of the GT90 and plugged
it into the rear end of the silver concept
car, they might have something.
Older is definitely better. Three cheers
for the MK1!!!
Bill
DRB GT40/0035

shocked.gif
frown.gif
smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Damn that is ugly. The wheels look very Audi TT or Audi S4 like. I hope it won't end up being some sort of rolling artwork, all show and no go.

R

G

bill

thanks but no luck with this site. it says that it no longer exists. do you have another one?

thanks anyways

luis

In my opinion there is absolutely no resemblance to the original car in either of those photos. When I saw the TT roadster I didn't stop laughing until last week.
grin.gif
No offense intended to TT owners,I just don't care for the design. If Ford produces anything close to these photos they will be doing a terrible thing in the name of retro GT40's. To me retro design means that the overall flavor of the original car is maintained. It's not something you can say it's 30% this and 70% original. I think the car should be instantly recognized as an off spring of the original. The last photo of the white one looks more like a cross between a TT Audi and a Lambrogini Diablo. The only thing on the car that comes close is the exhuast exits.

That's just my artistic opinion on the designs.
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Working totaly from memory of an article I read many years ago, the build of the GT90 was a two-fold exercise. Firstly in reviving the good name of the GT40, and secondly for Ford to prove that it could - if it wanted to - build a car that was better than the all new McClaren F1 which was all the rave at the time.

I might add at this point that I also read an article in a British clasic car mag which directly compared the McClaren F1 to the GT40 Mk1b, and found the GT40 to be a far better mannered car, be it a bit slower. Not bad considering the 30 years of technology in between.

In fact, the well know 60s race car driver went on to say that, had he been driving a GT40 at LeMans rather than a Ferrari, his career might have taken a better turn. Sorry I can't put any names to the articles... it was just too many years ago
smile.gif

Back