Which Water Pump and Starter???

G

In the process of acquiring my water pump and starter. Was wondering what people are using?

Already have the transaxle. It's a G50 Porsche '90 and later. Apparently Tilton doesn't make a starter and the stock unit may not be enough for the 10/1 comp 302. Tilton does make a starter for the '89 and earlier G50. Does anyone know of a high torque aftermarket starter for the '90 and later G50? This may be something to look out for if your looking at a G50 t/axle.

Now the water pump. Because of close clearance at the front of the engine a shorter w/pump is needed. My friend with the real GT40 says his is a highly modified stock unit. Another builder says he used a '90 to '93 Tbird pump and front cover and gained 2 inches. There's also a company "snow white" that has a short w/pump kit, but it's spendy. What water pumps are being used other than stock?

One other quick question, I remember a thread in which one of the kit manufacturers was asking if anyone wanted a monocoque chassis or plans/drawings for one... was it RF?

Thanks

G

Check with Kennedy Engineered Products who also makes an adapter and clutch assembly. I don't know if they deal with the post 1989 issue. Let us know what you find out!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
For the starter use a late model Mustang 5.0 or Explorer gear reduction starter. These are smaller, lighter and nore powerful than the old type as used in the original 40's.

Ford Racing sells a Premium" version of this unit but I don't think the claimed extra is worth the cost. The small style starter is availble new via Ford Dealer or Motorcraft dealer or rebuilt via any GOOD rebuilder.

Rick

G

Mike,
KEP is were I got the info that a high torque starter for the '90 and later G50 isn't made here in the states. I'm getting my flywheel/clutch from them.

Mark,
the bellhousing is part of the G50 transaxle and won't allow room for a Ford starter without major modifications.

G

There was a discussion some time ago on the clubcobra site about water pumps and GT40's, which you might be able to locate by using the search function. I think Bob P. of ERA had some advice.

Tom T.

G

Kalun,

Check the Monocoque and Uprights post (7 November) under the "For sale or wanted" section of this forum. The monocoque is made by Classic Car Developements.

Hi there - I know it's not strictly 'original' but several of our club members use the electric water pump made by 'Davies Craig' of Australia. This compact unit seem's to work quite well, requires no thermostat fitted and keeps engine at preset temp, providing the radiator has enough capacity. Give them a look at
Craig Davies Homepage

regards

Paul Thompson

Hi Ron,
Very well from what I've seen - Dave Parker uses one on his GTD-R42 - The yellow one seen in the Pits at SPA on the 'GTD Pictures post' I previously placed. His car is mainly used on track but has also clocked up many road miles with no problems thus far. The Pump speed is variable, controlled by an electronic cct that reads a sensor placed inside the normal water pump inlet. The pump can flow between approx 300 and 1300 gals per hour. One thing to remember is that when you are sitting in traffic with the engine idling, the pump can flow faster than the normal mechanical pump and the two 13" fans on the radiator sort the rest.
Also, when used for circuit work, the engine can be switched off with the electric pump (and fans if necessary) still running which helps avoid hot spots and heat soak.

Quite neat really.

regards

Paul Thompson

[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: P Thompson ]

Ron Earp

Admin
I've looked into this a lot already.

If you want reverse rotation and short pumps without lots of fancy parts use:

91-93 Tbird/Cougar 5.0L

or

94-95 Mustang 5.0L

This are identical pumps and may be identical front covers.

Also, the late model Explorer 5.0L application is short and is what I'm currently planning to use.

This options will gain a lot over the older style reverse and standard rotation pupms and you will not have to cut pumps or remachine anything. Plus, if the pump goes bad you just pay your $30 at the local Pep Boys and you are on your way.

Ron

G

Ron

How do you handle the belt alignment with the "short" T-bird pump?
Is the T'bird crankshaft pulley also short?

Thx
MikeD

G

Kalun

I believe Ford introduced the reverse rotation water pump at the same time as
the serpentine drive. The serpentine belt
is much stronger and seldom comes off
compared to the old v-belt drive.
The downside is that it does take up more
space on the front of the engine.

There are people that run a regular
(NOT reverse rotation) water pump with a
serpentine drive for the ultimate in belt
strength. In that case the belt runs a simple loop around the water pump pulley like old v-belt setups.

V-belts are period correct and take up less room. But since they are hidden in a GT40
and are a LOT stronger, many folks use them(serpentines).
Your choice of a regular rotation or reverse
rotation water pump is strictly a function of
how you set up your accessories/belt layout.

MikeD

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: MikeD ]

G

Mike,
don't think I want reverse rotation because I have no accesories. Just alternator and water pump, that's it. If the water pump was reverse then it would need an idler pulley and I don't want extra stuff.

the serpentine (multi groove) belt is a nice idea though and I may run that.

G

Ron, Is the reverse rotation because the waterpump is running off the backside of a serpentine belt? Guess that's not what I want. Why did you go with the Explorer setup and what years are these?

thanks for all the replies

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: Kalun D ]

G

mike, can't get the mikescustomcobra link to work, can't find it by a search either??

Is it my connection or a bad link, got caught up in the att excite fiasco so am unsure.

Back