GTD Club

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, I just returned home from a trip and found a little bundle of magazines from the GTD Club waiting on me - Thanks Malcolm!!!

After reading through all three of them this is my word of advice for anyone building a GT40, regardless of make - Join up with the Club.

The magazines have lots of information and articles specific for the GT40, good stuff. It is clear our UK counterparts have being doing this longer than we have and have a lot of good advice to give.

And, it certainly dispelled my assumption that all UK GT40s (I really didn't have it in the first place) are powered by wheezing Rover V8s. Nice cars!

But seriously, we need to send some Ford blocks over to the UK on some sort of Lend Lease program so they won't use silly motors with the siamesed exhaust ports. I've heard about them, something like a Chevy I think? Best used as boat anchors I'm told.

Also, there is a parts section and cars for sales section but I'm hoping the online forum we have here could surplant that one. Reason being is that by the time something makes it in print it is probably sold.

In short, great magazine and I'll be looking forward to getting more issues once joined up. I hope some of the future issues will have some Roaring Forties and ERA GT40s from this side of the pond along with CAV and other makes.

Now, I wonder if we could cooperate together and get some of the back issues in PDF format to put on the site? With the clubs permission I could probably make that happen.

Good show and best regards,

Ron
cool.gif
tongue.gif

Ron, Any member is free to publish articles in the club mag. About a year ago when I wrote my first one, I received comments that it was about time somebody from across the pond was interested in cars that go around corners instead of a straight line. They STILL think that "corners and yanks don't mix"!!! We are going to have to take it upon ourselves to prove them wrong! Did you get the latest mag, that being the one where Brian Redman had the opportunity to drive Robin's car at SPA? Great reading,
Brian

G

Ah Ron, isn't it easy to have misconceptions. Be warned my impressions of Americans are all based on The Simpsons! Never yet visited the US but do intend to. On the other hand Brian from Boston based all his impressions of England on the programme Keeping Up Appearances! When we got together we both had culture shock!

99% of UK 40s in our club have yank V8s in. Only Tony Marsh runs a Rover 4.5 twin turbo V8 which would be a bit mean using as an anchor as it does have 630 bhp! Vast majority of engines are the classic Ford 302 SB. Some 351 and very few Chevy.

Glad you enjoyed the mags.

Malcolm

G

Hey no Brit bashing! When Bin Ladden took the Twin Towers down the English were right there backing us up (god bless the queen) all we can do is try to forget that they call the "hood" a "bonnet" which sounds a little efeminate I hear "bonnet" and all I can picture is a little pink baby hat. I digress.... Oh and by the way they did make the AC !! Nuff said.

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: 351SVO ]

G

Oh my oh my, a yank who agrees the British made the AC Cobra. Clearly a top chap! However don't worry about bashing us Brits, it always seems to happen to us and has done for centuries.

Malcolm
(Typically British with added quirks!)
grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
No Brit bashing intended, just good fun! The Brits give us a hard time frequently!

Are there any GT40s near Alesberry (spelled wrong)? I will be over in the UK over this coming weekend and wouldn't mind meeting up with someone there if possible. IF so drop me an email, I'll buy you a pint.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron, Englands not that big, and I am sure we would all welcome you if you had the time (you might need a month over here to see everybody though !)Look on the map, I am in East Sussex, on the south coast. Frank

Hi Ron,

I live about 25 miles from Aylesbury, near Junction 17 or 18 of the M25.

My GTD is waiting, so if you contact me we can arrange to meet up!

Charles

Back