What GT40 Mk II's replicas are available setup for FE engines?

What GT40 Mk II\'s replicas are available setup for FE engines?

I have seen info from ERA on the Mk II, and there is of course H/M. Are there any other companies making Mk II for an FE?

Re: What GT40 Mk II\'s replicas are available setup for FE engines?

RF has built a demo so far. Gordon or Robert
have more info I'm sure.

Last I heard, ERA says there's is capable
of fittiong an FE motor in it, but they
advise against it (what, ERA advising against
original specs? Just kidding Bob -- the
reasoning is very valid.) In case you were
unaware (which I'm sure you're not), the
latest issue of Kit Car Illustrated has
a feature on the ERA MkII.

Ian

Per ERA's website, fitting an FE engine in the car does not allow for A/C. Also, the torque from the BB is tough even on the ZF transaxle. That's why they (Ford) originally went to a modified Toploader 4-speed.

It's harder to keep cool, louder, and uses up a lot of space. But, hey, if you have one and are sitting at a red light, it sure sounds awesome.

Bill D

When we can smoke the rear tires at 130mph with a stroker smallblock why would you want a big block.

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Gordon Levy ]

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

I have heard of one T44 transaxle for sale in Rhode Island; the price is (sit down and hold your breath) $32,000 US. Problem is, a healthy big-block motor will pulverize any other gearbox, as they found in the old days. Original big blocks are out there, but transmissions that will cope with what they put out are few and far between.
Incidentally, if you are determined to have a 427 sideoiler and can't find one, a place to look is in the used boating market. Lots of 427s were converted by Chris Craft into marine engines,and the ones which had fresh-water cooling are in good shape today. They are fairly cheap; a friend of mine sold a pair with marine manifolds and transmissions for $2500. The one thing to be careful of is to make sure if you look at a marine engine, you confirm that it is normal rotation- left hand. Frequently marine engines come in pairs, one rotating left, one right, and converting a right hand rotation engine back to left is a bit of a pain. But, if you feel you have to have a big block motor, old marine motors are a potential source and, in a sense, they have been indoors most of their lives.
Jim Rosenthal Annapolis, MD

G

Gordon

You are absolutely correct!
Today's small blocks can outperform the FE
in all respects EXCEPT one...
authenticity. For those that are willing to pay the price, a TRUE Mark II must have
an FE engine. Just like those folks that
demand a 427 sideoiler in an SC Cobra.

I assume there are folks who like the bodywork of the Mark II and are perfectly
content to run a small block. Especially
if the car is going to see significant street
use.
8-10 miles per gallon gets old real quick!

MikeD

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: MikeD ]

Nothing to do with this topic, but I noticed
a new Member today with the name Togo.
I noticed you are in Scotland. Whereabouts?
Are you close to Carlisle?
E-mail me on [email protected]

[ December 19, 2001: Message edited by: Geoff Deakin ]

We bought the original coreboxes for casting the T44 pieces - there are something like 25 different castings. We're currently finishing up the machining process for the special parts necessary for our reproduction gearbox. It won't be $33K, but the cost will be high...

G

Lee Holman said that his magnesium cased reproductions would be in the neighborhood of $30K. He is having 3 cases at a time cast and claimed they were costing him around $15K each. When I talked to him, he was still looking for someone to machine the cases to accept the clusters and diff. I am not sure if he has ever sold any of his GT40s ($500K) so he probably still has the 3 cases sitting there on the rack he showed me.

Back