Headlight Brackets RF40

Can anyone give a detailed (or otherwise) description of the fitment of all brackets used to support the headlights on the RF40 (pictures would be even better). I have the factory kit, but the instructions seem to be uncharacteristicly thin in this area.

The kit has four brackets in total, but are all different and are all un-bent. I could just make it up as I go, but I want to get it right the first time.

---------------------------

RF40

Chris,
It's funny you should mention that. I am working on my headlights now. I just about have them done. I will try and e mail you some pictures and deminsions of the brackets as soon as I get them complete. It should be a day or two. The brackets are different because the bucket depth is different from left to right. Also the headlight lens only
protrudes throught the hole about 3/4" The right side will protude a little more than the left.
I am going to have to call RF because I see no way to adjust these without taking them
completely out. All the adjusting screws face the front. If they were to the rear you could adjust them.
So hold on Chris and we will get this squared away.

Hersh
smile.gif

Thanks Hershal,

That was exactly my dilema. I figured there must something more to it rather than having to remove the complete assembly.

The RF factory has closed for the Xmas break, so you probably won't be able to contact them.

-------------------

RF40

Chris,
I have a few pictures to e mail you but I
need your e mail address. It is not listed on your profile. Please send it to me and I will send out the pics as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Hersh
smile.gif

Hersh,

I tried emailing at the address you gave and it failed again. Having said that, I've worked out why my email was not available from within the forum and fixed it. You should be able to send me email now.

Thanks
Chris

-------------------------

RF40
Chassis 18

Chris,
I sent the pictures. It looks like they
went. I hope they are helpful.
Let me know if there is anything more I can
help you with.

Hersh
smile.gif

Thanks Hersh,

In case your still not getting my emails... thanks for the pics, they were very useful.
The headlights are now in and I'm amazed at the transformation. The headlights seem to breath life into the car... was once blind, it now has eyes to see
smile.gif

Excuse me if I'm sounding over-philosophical here, I'm getting particularly enthusiastc as I get close to completion. Not long now.

Here is an idea on how the headlights might be adjusted while in place.

The adjustment screws seem to have a flat on the end. A simple tool could be made to fit this flat and so adjust them by turning the tool. It should work in theory anyway.

Chris,
I got your e mails. But the funny thing is I got your last e mail first then the first one you sent came a day later ...go figure, huh?
I'm glad you got the lights in. I have mine in as well but I want to figure a better way to adjust them without taking them apart. If I figure it out I will let you know.

Hersh
smile.gif

Hi
I may be stating the obvious here, but in Trevor Legates new GT40 book. On pages 141/142 are pictures of a Safir MkV with small holes beside the headlights, could these be used for adjusting the fwd facing adjusters with the light covers off ?

Clayton
confused.gif

G

Can't help you with RF light adjustments but on our GTD's we have the two little access holes to adjust alignment with. A problem GTD's can have is getting the alignment correct for passing our Mot test to make the car legal. The adjustment gets right to the limit to pass. Once I had to casually sit on the wing on the car to get it through! Ok Ok I jumped up and down on it but it passed in the end. Knowing how few moulds for bodies are out there there may be some connection here between the differing makes of 40.
Malcolm

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Malcolm M ]

Well guys, the mystery is over. I talked to
Robert Logan last night about the adjustment
thing. He said that they use a 3mm wrench to
turn the litte square at the end of the adjuster screw. I tried it and it seems to
work. It just takes a very long time to
turn one a 1/4".

Chris L, you were right about making a
special tool to turn them.

Hersh
smile.gif

Malcolm,

Just put two and two together with another thread within this forum (and probably got five). I remember something being said about “all GT40s” being jacked up at the rear. Maybe this is how your headlight adjustment problems are beeing resolved???? It would be very “unfortunate” if the rear suspension happened to “sag” shortly after meeting its requirements though.
wink.gif

G

That's just the half of it. Once a new kit in this country has gone through our SVA test, all kinds of things fall off and need replacing with aftermarket gear!....
Malcolm

Back