Gt-40 Chassis

Anyone have a source for chassis plans? I am planning to build a chassis but need a set of plans. Also would appreciate any advice as to what would be the best way to go ie: mono vs. space; SS vs. mild steel vs. aluminum, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
confused.gif

G

Unless you have a body already, how do you know the body you end up with would fit?
It's a lot easier to fit a chassis to a body
than fit a body to a chassis!

MikeD

G

If you have the funds, Just buy a kit or chassis and copy it. In this way you can make your own modifictions to suit yourself.

After you do this, you might find yourself selling kits. I assume you have a good shop, I would like to see a car made in the states that would retail for a decent price.

G

Orin,
Set up shop in West Virginia, property is cheap and labour is easy to get.
Keep in touch. I have a name for your new car O M 40.

In the interest of staying with the thread topic as requested by Ron, I will revive this old one which seems to be on the point of most interest to many of the members of this board.
In response to the question of where can one get chassis plans from, there are two sources which have come to light:
1. Kalun D, a member of this board, is currently building his own chassis and is very near to having "as built" CAD space frame plans available to builders. He will no doubt post more details when ready;
2. Dave Brown has been mentioned by board member Brian Stewart as being interested in providing monocoque chassis plans. Dave has no email at present and as far as I know is not a board member. He is located in New Zealand. His phone/fax
number at Classic Car Developments in NZ is 64 3 215 6893. His home number
is 64 3 218 9708. His postal address is:

Classic Car Developments
17 Howarth St.,
Waikiwi
Invercargill.

Besides the stel monocoque and space frame options, there appear to be at least two other alternatives. These are the chassis type used in the Lotus Elise as posted on this board by Chris Melia under the thread titled "NEW CAV MONOCOQUE VS. OLDER ERA" on page 3 of that thread. The Lotus Elise chassis uses aluminum in what looks to be side rails and cross members formed from boxed rectangular tubing. The aluminum is bonded rather than welded. This is similar to the 2002 Ford GT40 Concept Vehicle chassis as far as the bonded aluminum but does not actually resemble it in apearance. The beauty of the Lotus Elise chassis is in its simplicity. I don't have any info as to how practical this type of construction is for a GT40 but I am sure that someone will be able to expand on this.
Alternative no. 4: In the previously mentioned thread there has been some discussion of a non-metallic alternative, a carbon fiber or fiberglass resin bonded chassis similar to the old and very succesful Chapparal and some of the current F1 chassis (I think).
Finally, the MK IV used a bonded honeycomb construction which is said to have its roots in the aircraft industry. Some very interesting pictures were posted by Bob Putnam of a MK IV chassis and this leads one to wonder whether ERA is considering this type of chassis for a future project. Bob???
All of these alternatives are apparently of interest to GT40 Forum board members, and based on the amount of input so far, each may be worthy of its own thread, rather than having all the input lumped together under one, but whether any more details will be forthcoming remains to be seen. I, for one, hope so. Stay tuned.
Regards, Blue

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: BlueOvalBlood ]

Back