GTD Motec Install

Hi all,
As Motec has been mentioned a few times recently, I thought I'd take the time to post a few jpg's of the Motec install we put into Roy Smart's lightweight GTD this year.

Aluminium 302 - Bored and stroked with Crower billet crank
Alloy302b.JPG

Hope you like em...

regards

Paul Thompson
(ps - I can now supply PC format cd's which have in axcess of 500 pictures on them for a nominal fee - all proceeds to 'GTD-40 Car Club' funds - contact me if interested)
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: P Thompson ]

G

Very nice job beautiful engine is it a 347? What was the final cost ? Did you need to grind the block for clearance?

Hi 351SVO,
You've obviously done your maths but I think we calculated the capacity to be approx 347 / 348 cubic inches 0.120" oversize and 0.37?? stroked.

There was more machining than I think even Roy had expected. The bottoms of the liners and the block in places had to be 'eased' for want of a better description. When boring the liners, the boring had to go three eighths of an inch below the liner into the block, to accomodate the pistons on the increased stroke. The piston skirts also had to be modified to clear the crank's counterbalance webs and we also removed all the usual casting lumps, bumps & lines to give the interior of the block a smoother finish to aid oil return.

The crank required further mods to allow a quill to pass for the oil pump as at present the engine is not dry sumped.

Roy and I had competed with the car (his second GTD-40 Build) for two seasons but with a steel 'A4' block, modified TFS Ali heads and Kinsler injection managed by an Accel ECU so many parts have been utilised again.

Cost, the Motec bits (ECU, Ign Expander, Amps, Coils + Lambda) came to approx £3500 UK.

The heads, Throttle bodies, Sensors, Injectors, fuel pumps, etc were re-used with new block, camshaft, pistons, rods and so the list continues.

I am unable to price the whole engine setup as the '40' is owned by Roy and it would be speculation anyway but speaking to Roy, the rebuild figure is somewhat over £10K so the total of a complete engine including all Motec management would exceed £20K.

So, when I win the lottery
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Still dreamin'

Paul Thompson

[ January 06, 2002: Message edited by: P Thompson ]

And then he woke up! -

"Time for breakfast" said Wendy, his wife -

Having also beaten Malcolm in her Lotus...

ps - sorry you cannot make the 'Three hills Challenge' in the Isle-Of-Man, still, probably better to 'pick & choose' the events you do, just in case!...

ho ho ho
grin.gif

G

I'm sorry....I can't resist this.... I'm trying real hard but...but...but...

I STILL GOING TO WHIP YOUR BUTT, PAUL!

Oh boy now I've gone and said it again!

Malcolm
grin.gif

Back