How Will the New GT40 Affect the Replica Market?

G

If Ford builds the new GT40 with the assumed specs. shown below (that's what the rummor mill states), what will it do to the GT40 replica market? Prices up or down? More or less people and manufatures building them? Just remember that if the car was available for $100K today, that means it will be worth only about $60K three years from now.

Estimated base price: $100,000

Engine Type: supercharged and intercooled DOHC 32-valve V-8 aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection

Displacement: 328 cu in

Power: 500hp

Torque: 500 lb-ft

Transmission: 6-speed manual

0 to 60: 4.0 seconds

Top Speed: 185 mph

Jeff

Ron Earp

Admin
As I mentioned on the other thread, I'd say they'll go down based on the fact there will be a "real" GT40 obtainable directly from Ford. The fact will remain that a lot of folks won't know what a "Real" 1960s GT40 is - nor will they care. They'll just see a hot new car from Ford and want one.

This is rather unfortunate.

On the upshot, I bet there will be surge in GT40 replica car interest very quickly, but I'm not sure the lofty prices folks are asking - and sometimes getting, for their GT40 replicas will remain for the long term.

Obviously, I think the performance will be better from the replicas:

1) Less weight
2) More power in many cases
3) More grip in many cases

I think GTD, RF, ERA, Tornado, and the others will see an increase in sales provided the economy doesn't remain or get softer.

Gives me more incentative to get my ass in gear and get the car built! I'd hate to see Ford get theirs built before I do - now that is a challenge for everyone currently in the build process. I'm just pissed they choose yellow and black, the colors I've been planning on for over a year.

R

G

If Ford builds it, and sticks with very limited production, the depreciation may be very minor--in the longer term, the value may even go up. However, you have to know that if Ford is talking somewhere in the vicinity of $100k, the dealers will be adding on whatever they think the market will bear, for as long as they can get away with it.

I think Ford will decide the time is indeed right to take the risk, and go forward. Only time will tell.

TT

I seriously dought that it will effect the replica market. If it does it will be a
positive one. Most people don't have a 100K
nor do they desire to finance one for that amount. I think that a replica kit would be
more attractive option. It can be bought in
stages allowing more affordability and when it's done it shouldn't depreciate as quickly.
People tend to hold on to replicas longer
than a production car.
There is always going to be people out there
like me who want to build their dream car.
It's not likely they will flood the market
with new GT40's. Being a limited production
car means that the price will not drop if at all. Thus allowing the replicas to continue filling the nitch. Just like the Mustang
Cobra R's and the Mustang GT's. You buy the
Cobra R if you can afford it. If not you buy
the GT because you still like the looks
of the Mustangs overall.So it goes with the
new GT40, you buy it if you can afford it.
If not you buy a replica because it offers
the same looks and feel. It's the same reason
most of us have replicas cause there ain't
many real ones within our reach.

Just another lopsided view from yours truly,

Hersh
smile.gif

G

I think this will be one of those cars like the Viper or Prowler where a guy puts in his order and pays the 100K and then before he even takes delivery has it advertised and sold for $120K. It isn't the type of car to depreciate unless they build too many. For me a die hard GT40 fan, I think they've changed it just enough to keep me looking at replicas. The longer nose, the 43.5" height, the different scoops, hood and side. It kind of reminds of a Lone Star, kind of, sort of, but not really a GT40. I think the nostalgia people who know of the history will be looking at replicas. Mainly because they can still build them close to the original. eg. Engine, interior, right or left hand drive and it still looks sexier than the new one. As far as what happens to the replica market if Ford produces the new GT40 or as someone said earlier on another thread GT43.5. One of two things, either nothing similar to all the Lambo replicas out there or Keeping in mind that Ford probably has rights to the name GT40 and the original design they may stop the replica builders from copying the car as Ferrari has done. I really hope the latter doesn't happen. I think the two cars are for different people. The guy that likes to buy the car completed at whatever cost and take pride in driving it, and the guy who likes to take pride in both building and driving it.

Regards
Paul Campoli
Toronto, Canada

If Fords only build it in right hand drive it will not be a GT40!. If Fords only build it as a high spec. road car it will not be a GT40! Forget it, its just a rich mans toy, build your car yourself to replicate the 60s and it will always be more satisfying,even if you have the money to buy one of Fords new "repros"

G

Interesting reading in Trevor Legates new book on the GT40. In it he refers to a production car code named the GT44 as it was to be 44 inchers high and a pure road car. Not a lot else said about it but maybe this thing is actually a revivial of that idea, or at least in part!

Malcolm

An interesting discussion!
The thought of ever selling my '40 has never entered my mind. It has been my dream for 18 years to own one and I have spent many satisfying hours lovingly assembling and modifying the car.
Although not yet finished, it will be worth more to me than anything Ford could ever offer.
So guys don't worry be happy and get out there and enjoy your sweat and tears!!!!

Ron Rowse

No Longer Available
To Ron Earp about the yellow with black stripes. I painted my car this colour 5 years ago when it seemed everyone else was going the gulf colours. I researched all the ford build sheets to get the colours right
Now it seems every book or acticle I come across there is a yellow and black colour car. IT REALLY PISSES MY WIFE OFF.So you are not the only one.
Yours Ron.

G

For Ron R
grin.gif
The car on the cover of Trevor Legates new book is not yellow and black. It is yellow and BLUE.
grin.gif
No need for your wife to get so pissed off now! Its good to hear she has feelings on the subject. However a reason why these yellow cars pop up everywhere is that yellow is a photogenic colour for cars. Ever seen many maroon or deep blue cars on mag covers?

Malcolm

PS I think I should be on a commission basis for seeing how many times I can mention Trevor Legates new book! Oooops theres another.....

G

dont worry!
i am a ford dealer and i believe the chances of ford building the gt40 anytime soon are near zero. the company is about to announce some more major cutbacks and plant closings tomorrow morning. projects like the gt40 are the first ones to get axed in times like this.
that being said, as a gt40 enthusiast, i will use every bit of influence i have to encourage the company to build that beast asap!!
i will keep you informed of anything i may learn about it. i'll be in detroit next week to see it. report to follow. chuck b

Back