Driving Lights

Has anyone tried to fit driving lights to their cars. Visually the recess under the headlights seems a little bare with only an indicator in it. So I was considering including driving lights, as much to fill the space as anything.

Pictures of real cars suggests that rectangular and round lights were used on various cars at the time.

Has anyone found any lights which are of appropriate size and are able to be mounted through a hole in the fibreglass. If so, I would appreciate details.

Thanks

John

It'll look great when its done John.

If its any help, the only real GT40 in Aus has square lights just above the indicators. I'll try and include a pic in this thread if someone can tell me how. It might be an idea to wait after ADR though 'cos they're a bit funny about that sort of thing - here in Vic anyway.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Aardvark Enterprises in California have Cibie lights (I thnk they are called Airport 35s or something like that) which are a rectangular light which will fit in the recess below the headlight on a GT40, or so they say. They advertise in R&T and so on, they sell Cibie lights, Talbot mirrors, and they have a few Cibie 240 lights left which are the original GT40 headlamps. They are not cheap though.
Jim R

Hi all i uses piper comanche landing lights as driving lights, probably not road legal but looks good and works great

philips 4509usa 100w13v6j

regards dick
fe13e389.jpg

OH MAAN !!!
I already cut the holes for the signal lights.
Now I see this and realize I can't put in
running lights. Anybody know of a light
that will fit above these signal lights.

Hersh
smile.gif

Hersh,

Why don't you just fill the holes and start
over?
Take the cutouts if you have them,tape off the front of the hole and bond them in from
the back.Then,a little bondo and some sandpaper and you'll be back where you started. If you don't have the plugs, make new ones. Make a plug pattern, clamp it on wax paper on a piece of plywood, then it's only a matter of filling the hole in the pattern with resin soaked fiberglass mat. If your pattern is accurate,the plugs should fit like a glove. See above for installation. Voila`, good as new! Then you will be able to cut new holes in the right places. It sounds like a lot of work
(probably 2-3 hrs total), but compared to what you have already done, a piece of cake.

Regards,

Bill

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi John,

Here in the state of NSW, Iunderstand that the regs are fairly strict in terms of the visibility of the turn/indicator lights. I have used square orange Hella units with a chrome dress ring & mounted them as low & as far to the outside of the car as possible (just inside & clear of the plexiglass cover). These should meet the design rules. This left me with enough space above to mount small "under-bumper" driving lights - they are about 100mm wide x 30mm high & mount on a bracket which sits (with a little adjustment) flush on the underside of the light recess moulding. I'll leave them out for the ADR/Rego exercise, but reinstall them afterwards. Whilst they are not "original" units, installed in holes in the glass, they do at least fill the space & look ok. Unfortunately, I have thrown out the packaging, so can not tell you the brand/model - they were just something I picked up at the local auto parts shop for about AUD$50.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Ron Rowse

No Longer Available
Dear John
The lights fitted to my GT40 1041 are made by lucas and they are 115mm by 55mm.

I brought some extras in case of front end damage from Clapman Industries Ltd
258 St Asaph Street
Christchurch
New Zealand.
This shop was a lucas dealer back in the 50s and 60s and is full of hard to get lucas products.

I have heard the lights were cibies but my parts manaul shows them to be lucas.

Hope this helps in a small way
Ron.

Thanks everyone

I now have several options to follow up. The registration issue is also very useful information.

As suggested, I will probably have to present the car for rego with the lights out of it. It shouldn't be to hard to make up a cover plate to temporarily hide the hole.

By the way Dick, your car looks great. I'm sure you are right, landing lights are not legal here. I think it is because they have clear glass rather than a diffuser lens on the front. But it sounds like I won't be legal anyway.

Regards

John

Does anyone know the contact details for Aardvark Industries in California ? I need some Cibie lamp parts for which I have the original part numbers.

G

Hershal,

I have Hella fog lights above my turn indicators. Any of the rectangular lights of less than 6" wide and less than about 2 1/2 tall should fit. I bonded brackets to the bottom of the ramp up to the main headlights. I also put small oval spots in the tops of the two nostils in the front of the nose. With hi/lo on seperate switches, both on and spots and fogs on I have a LOT of light up front.

Lynn

Back