What about NZ Replication LTD?

Here's their web page
I have browsed through the forum, but haven't seen anybody say anything about them. Is there something bad about them? If noone knows anything, I was going to send them an email asking wether they testedtheir spaceframe for twisting, and what are the numbers. Basically, what should I ask them about? On their site somewhere, they said they produced 29 cars so far, all in NZ

Lev

I was in contact with Phil Ware, owner of NZ Replication, for almost a year, discussing his car. Also, someone else on this forum either actually drove one of his cars, or knows someone who did.

The car, from all accounts, is well made, and very acurate to the original GT40. The downside is that his kit doesn't come with a manual. Building a car this complex is difficult even with a manual. Also, I was unimpressed with the type of spindles (Ford Granada MK II, a European Ford) and the small brakes (10.75).

If you have the money, go with a Roaring Forties kit. Get in touch with Gordon Levy (www.levyracing.com)

Bill D

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: Bill D ]

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I have a car on order, due in March. I spoke extensively with Phil and am pleased with his level of knowledge and eye towards the details. Here are a few photos of his work... http://www.norcal-cobras.com/news/gt40/index.htm

You must decide if a lack of manual and the hunt for the detail level parts is your cup of tea. Personnally I find the project as enjoyable as driving the car.

One benefit is the ability to spec all the mechanicals to your liking. I don't believe the brakes are a big issue. A combo of Wilwood/BMW/Holden. Plenty of upgrade options if you desire.

Time will tell...

Neal -

The pictures from your visit are excellent. Since I have never built a car before, I decided to skip the NZ car at this time. Keep us posted as to your adventure. Also, didn't I send you forward you some detail info during my research?

Bill D

Thanx for the replies guys.
smile.gif

I have some questions: Neal, if you order the "options" from them will they assemble it on the car?
The things I'm most afraid of are wiring harness, cooling tubing, and shift linkage. Are you going for the basic kit and then plan to make things up as you go along? If you're ordering their parts, can you list some stuff? Also, their site says they "adapt" koni suspension parts to use on their cars, do you know what they do?

I'll have some more questions, that's for sure.

Thanx in advance!

One more thing, this is just in general, is it concevable to have 1 big nostril like the "Gulf" cars? Every pic of a replica seems to have 2

Thanx for the awesome pics!

Lev -

When I talked with Phil, he said he could do the single nostril. He also said he could do the extra wide Gulf Flares (like 1075) for $1000. If I remember correctly, he installs the cooling tubes and suspension components. I wish I still had all the email traffic with quotes and options, but it appears I deleted it. Maybe Neal has some info.

Bill D
grin.gif

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I plan to chronicle the build on my web site. For the short term, I've chosen a fair number of options which would have required major fabrication.
shocked.gif
Things like the radiator, cooling tubes and aluminum cladding, fuel tanks, Konis, etc. ~$20k

I have a 347 (302 based) motor ready to go and will be mating it to a G50 Porsche gearbox with Quaife LSD. I'll fab the gearchange. Phil's current setup is close but will require some fab. I'm planning on using a Painless Wiring harness.

I was looking for a more economical alternative to the Tornado, GTD, CAV and RF cars. Time will tell if this proves to be the case. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Neal,
From all I learned about the NZ car it is a
good kit. Very reasonable price too. My issue
at the time I bought was I wanted to
personally see one before I purchased it.
Unfortunatly There were none here. There
was a RF kit here and I purchased that after
close scrutiny of Bob Lawences RF.
I really look forward to seeing photos of
your build. If I ever get out that way when
you get the car, I would love to stop by and
see it.

Hersh
smile.gif

Back