GTD chassis - spec changes

On visiting GTD, they told me they are currently selling a '2001 spec' chassis, but they couldn't secify exactly what the changes are.

Does anyone know if the 'new' chassis differ from the earlier GTD's or is this just sales hype?

It appears that most GTD's currently on the road in the UK seem to be manufactured 1990-1992, was this a good period for GTD?

G

I was looking at the GTD site and they have a monocouque car, check it out.

Malcolm

G

Julian,
This may be the same monocoque as the CAV car. I also believe they are using the A6 audi transaxle.

Let us know if you can verify this.

Malcolm,

Yes, they are using the Audi 'box. They told me the rear chassis subframe has been modified to accept it.

They are quite happy to admit their chassis are made by CAV & so I guess the monocoque must also be theirs.

They had a mock-up monocoque in their unit, altho it was not really on-display.

G

Julian,
I found the information on their site,
however I sent them an e-mail about the audi trans they are using. The infomation I wanted was what the ratios were on the A6 box. I never did get a reply and went back to their site, I could not find the box and monocoque details. They may have taken them off for some reason. The site I was on was GTDsupercars.com.

The only way I found of getting any info from GTD is to phone them.. they don't answer emails.

Re the Audi trans, I'm sure someone posted the ratios on this forum??

G

Does all this mean I can still buy a GTD kit? I was very impressed with the two CAV cars I saw, but I want to do more of the assembly myself. If I can get the same quality pieces from GTD, but assemble them myself I'm very interested. I'd also like to know if the GTD cars now have the nice aluminum front uprights the new CAV cars have. Does anyone know what the GTDs are going for theses days? The website has no prices.

Sorry Malcom M,

The agreement betwixt GTD and CAV means
you cannot buy an unfinished kit from GTD
in the US. However, you can buy secondhand
GTDs, and, if you really want to, I suppose
you could have someone in the UK buy the
kit for you and ship it, and hopefully not
charge too much of a fee
wink.gif

Let me know if and when you get your hands
on a 40. Maybe I'll have one soon myself,
and then we can start a 40 chapter in
Sac/Davis area
grin.gif

Ian

G

I had an e-mail from GTD to day, but it had nothing on it.
I purchased a 5N audi transaxle at a local wrecking yard today, and paid only 35 dollars. Could not pass it up at that price, I took the ring and pinion cover off and it looked good.
In about a month I am going to Calfornia, and will visit Bob Lacey the CAV dealer. The CAV is a no hassle deal and I believe is the best value. You dont have to mess around with extras and will make a nice road car. As I have said before, I would like it better if the ring and pinion was around the 3.44 mark, and had a longer first gear.
Its good to hear, that the people that have seen the CAV car like it.

G

The CAV car looked great. It is true that I'd be hard pressed to build the car with that kind of quality, but to me the building IS the project. Bob was very helpful and was able to show me drawings and photos of the new Monocoque frame. According to him, he should have a monocoque car to look at by the end of January. I was impressed by the design and can't wait to see an actual example. I have yet to see an RF car in person, so I can't comment on how they compare.

G

Malcolm Mac,

I was very much impressed with my conversations with Mr Lacey on the phone.
It is true that a lot of the fun is in the building of the car yourself, and if I had the time and youth I would do so. After seeing the CAV would you agree, that for a person buying a car that complete less engine, is the best deal. I believe that building the car yourself you will have more money in the car. The CAV has all the right parts wheels etc. Dont most kits cost about $40,000 dollars plus shipping, and the CAV has a cost of $55,000. Even with some of these kits you have to get your own trans, steering wheel, pin drive wheels and you will have many more costs.

G

They may still be offering the space frame car for the lower price--I'm sure Bob Lacey knows. The $63k price is for the monocoque car.

TT

FYI,

The CAV monocoque is $63K, + $1400 for
leather and $2600 for AC.

The RF in turnkey minus is (IIRC) $65K
including leather, AC, and crossover
exhaust. Add $2200 (again, IIRC) for 17"
pin drives.

So, the CAV is now $67K total, turnkey minus,
has monocoque frame, 11" brakes, 15" pin
drive wheels, AC, leather -- does it come
with the crossover exhaust?

The RF is $67200 total, turnkey minus, space-
frame, 13" brakes in front, 17" pin drives,
AC, leather and crossover.

Prices are pretty close
smile.gif

Now, from my POV, the RF is set up a little
better, and comes with some better standard
parts. Also, the frame is very strong.
And, if you want to build it yourself, drop
$22K from the tag (now $45200 for the above
set up).

Ian

G

Ian K
The CAV space frame car complete less engine
sells for $55,000.
The RF kit sells for 45,200 as you say, I dont know if that includes shipping.
Lets compare space frame cars and not CAV,s
monocoque.
I believe the difference is $9,800 dollars, one car is a kit and the other is a factory finished car, to a very high standard. Its not hard for me to make up my mind. If RF makes a monocoque then you can compare monocoque to monocoque as far as price goes. I will bet that a factory finished car in most cases will have a better resale value. Look at the resale value of a superformance and a factory five.

Well, I checked through my old email,
and the CAV comes with exhaust and trans.

As far as spaceframe vs. monocoque, the
RF spaceframe seems superior in strength
compared to ERA/original spec monocoques,
I wonder how the CAV (or Tornado or any
of the other spaceframes) hold up.

Also, the CAV site only mentions pricing for
the monocoque in the dealers link -- perhaps
they will no longer offer the spaceframe? In
which case, this is the only comparison that
can be made.

How do the Spuerformance and FF compare? I
always thought the Superformance was a
better base product, but the FF could be
highly modified.

Ian

The space frame CAV is $58500 including leather, ceramic coated cross over exhaust, A/C, leather, pin drive wheels (ask for 17's and he threw them in for me no charge) painted, and transmission. Including shipping to So Cal or east coast.
The RF is $42000(A/C included), $3000 shipping, pin drive wheels are $2000, crosover exhaust is $750(uncoated), $700 leather, figure $4000 minimum for paint and body and you get $52450. Now you need to spend 400-600 hours building the car including fitting and bending of the panels to attach to the space frame. So the car ends up being $6000 cheaper which works out to be $12/hour.

G

Wayne,
I dont think the RF comes with a trans so you have to find and pay for that.
I was given a price of $55,000 for the CAV. I believe that some people will build a kit, even if the price was the same as a car thats factory built. And thats fine, I was just making the point that the CAV space frame car, should have been the car compared to the RF as far as price goes.
Factory built cars are all built to the same level of finish. I think most people would agree that the kit car will vary as to the finish, from builder to builder.
You cant put a price on the satisfaction of building something, be it a car or a house. I just wanted to compare the two cars, kit or factory and people can make their minds up which way to go.
The last time I built a car was in 1980 and because of my age, and other business matters I would not have the time. In my case the factory car is best.
Does anybody know what the RF sells for, fully assembled with trans and no engine?.

Ron Earp

Admin
I think you already answered the transmission cost yourself -

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I had an e-mail from GTD to day, but it had nothing on it.
I purchased a 5N audi transaxle at a local wrecking yard today, and paid only 35 dollars. Could not pass it up at that price, I took the ring and pinion cover off and it looked good.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RF uses the Audi transmission as well, and they can be had for cheap. I haven't found any that cheap, most of mine here in NC run $150-300 USD.

Ron

Back