Brakes

MWGT40

Supporter
I am looking at upgrading my braking system on a MK I GTD40 from the standard Granada Scorpio brakes. I am considering upgrading to 6 pot AP Racing calipers with 340mm (13.4 inch) ventilated discs. However, Frank Catt has made me aware of the same setup offered by HiSpec (Monster model), which is considerably cheaper (around half the price). Does anybody have first hand experience of using these on a GT40 replica?

Martin

For road use 6 pots are probably unneccesary, you need to consider what pedal box and ratio you are using. I use 4 pot bremsport calipers with 1.5" pistons and 330mm curved vane discs.
Floor mounted pedal box with .7 cylinder for front and back. Rear brakes are scorpio vented. I can lock the front wheels quite easily!

I purchased discs and calipers from HiSpec Motorsport. They were helpful but a little slow on delivery, probably due to being a fairly small company and supplying several other companies with 'off the shelf' components.
I have 323mm x 32mm rear discs, 310mm x 21mm fronts. Calipers are Wilwoodsuperlite 11A 4-Pot fronts and Dynalite 11 4-Pot on the rear.
You will need to fit a mechanical Spot caliper to each of the rear discs to actuate the handbrake.
Also fitted is a Balance bar system with 0.875 cylinders.
You can contact them on 01322 286850 on their web site- http://ww.hispecbigbrakes.co.uk
Hope this has been of help.

MWGT40

Supporter
Roys

I am going to be using it on the track as well as the road hence the decision to go for six pot calipers and 340mm discs.

As for pedal setup, I am going to take out the standard GTD setup and replace it with a Tilton pedal assembly (and take out the servo assistance). This was recommended to me by some knowledgeable members of the GTD40 club who race their cars at present.

Thanks

Martin

MWGT40

Supporter
Paul

I tried the link that you sent but it did not work. I am not sure if this is the same company - where are they based?

Anyhow, if it is, I understand that they used to be a distributor only but now manufacture their own discs and calipers. So it is their manufactured brake calipers and discs that I am particulalry interested in getting feedback on rather than their performance as a distributor.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback. If you know anyone who has used these let me know. I don't think that they have been out that long.

Martin

Martin

The address you want is:

Hi Spec Motorsport
Unit 8 Parker Industrial estate
Watling street
Dartford
DA2 6EP

Tel 01322 286850
Fax 01322 286851

email: [email protected]

Regarding the spot caliper for the handbrake, they were developing a caliper with an integral handbrake.

Paul

Back