Paint job

My GTD is SVA'd and registered. I am now looking to get it painted.
I plan to prepare as much as I can and then have the final primer and topcoat professionally done.
Are there any compatibility rules with regard to cellulose, acrylic and two-pack layers? I would prefer to use acrylic or cellulose primer/filler for simplicity but am concerned about paint reactions with two-pack.
Also can anyone advise the specification of Gulf blue and orange colours?
Naturally I need to locate a painter, any recommendations from completed cars?
Thanks
David Champ

I am no paint expert so I am generally unable to help. What I can say is that fibreglass cars flex a lot and there are paint additives which help make the paint more flexible. This stops the paint cracking after a time.

I have seen cars with quite a lot of cracking in the paint on the doors near the top of the windows.

John

I believe the Gulf colours were Triumph powder blue and marigold. Malcolm MacAdam has his car in Gulf colours so may be able to supply more detail,paint codes etc.

G

The colours as far as I know are Triumph Powder Blue and Triumph Marigold. I don't have paint numnbers. P & K Panels in Poole painted my car and may have records. They have painted about 40 gt40s and know a thing or two about paint. Not the cheapest guys but good. The dark strip between the blue and orange is not black. It is a midnight blue. Also be sure where your paint man takes the orange around the front of the car and makes it rise up to the front wheel arch and not stay level.

Sorry this is not much help.

Malcolm

PS There are people out there who do not agree with my colours and I don't always agree with their colours back but I have put my car next to a Gulf 917 and it was a pretty good match to me. So just what are the correct Gulf colours? I tried to match my car to the Martin Colvill car.

Hi all,

Here's Malc and Wendy @ Brighton Speed Trials 2000.
Wendy%2040%20at%20Brighton%202000.JPG

Wendy about to show 'something in red' how its done!
Wendy%2040%20at%20Brighton%202000%20rear.JPG

Just so you can see their colours.

regards

Paul Thompson
smile.gif

As far as I can find out, the JW Automotive colours were:
Birger Ref: 1125 - Standard Triumph Powder Blue.
Birger Ref: 1456 - Marigold.

Hope this helps.

Geoff.

G

And there is the JWA Porshce 917 (chassis 013) in gulf colours in the AFN Porsche garage in Guildford which you can go see. I did the other day and it looks great. Wouldn't accept my offer on it! Can't think why? Anyway it is a different blue to mine, has more grey in it. The pin strip looks to be black too which again is different. Seen some serious action but looks great for it.

Malcolm

G

David,

""Are there any compatibility rules with regard to cellulose, acrylic and two-pack layers?""

I do recall using a two part catalyst spot putty on top of a one part lacquer spot putty. It bubbled up after the top coat. Later, upon reading the directions I discovered that you're not supposed to use the cat spot putty with the lacquer putty.

read ALL the directions and ask the person that sells you the stuff about combinations. Better yet ask an expert about a complete package.

the last paint job I did was.
cellulose body filler
catalyst filler/primer
catalyst spot putty
final primer (don't remember what)
catalyst urethane top coat

Thanks for the info guys. I actually onced owned a 1960s Triumph Vitesse in powder blue and white, so I'll have to see if I can find some old photos!

Malcolm, thanks for the tip and thanks Paul for the images. I see J40GT also features in Trevor Legate's new book.

Back