Availability of new 302s

I’ve just taken my first steps towards ordering the engine for my RF40 and was told (unofficially) that the 302 is no longer available as a new complete unit. Can anyone tell me if this is true? Although it can probably be bought in its individual components from the spare parts department and assembled, that option sounds particularly complex and expensive (not to mention the rumors that bits with poor tolerances often end up in the spare parts bin).

The other option is to buy a good second hand 302, but that in itself raises questions. Which models carry which engine? Which engines are most desirable? Are all the castings the same when it comes to locations for anciliary equipment?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

302s no longer avaiable??

Maybe not as complete engines, but complete
long blocks can be bought from various
builders, and FoMoCo has an aluminum 302
block for racing. All brand new.

Ian

Chris

I was told that these engines may be no longer available about six months ago. At that time they were still available. I got the official word from Dick Johnson Racing who, according to Ford Australia, are the official importers of Ford motorsport products. I also found out later that other people import the engines unofficially and actually found one someone had in "stock". You may well be able to do the same.

I was looking for a new motorsport B50 or B51 engine, which is the basic motor the standard RF engine is based on. DJR may be able to give you the official word on whether the engines are available or not.

I am guessing that you are looking for a second hand B51 series motor. If not how were you going to handle the emissions compliance issue?

Regards

John

The 302's are out of production. Anything they have are leftovers and will run out soon. We have been building and shipping several engines to Australia. get a hold of Robert at RF and if you want we can build one for you. Our engines are far superior to anything you can buy from Ford.

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: Gordon Levy ]

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I would add to this that it appears that Ford is sort of dumping the old 302 stock in the form of Motorsports engines which you buy and then have to replace all the exterior fittings on. JC Performance pointed out similarly to Gordon that a built motor is far better than anything you can get as a crate. And, it has the right external hardware on it to start with, plus it will be run and dialed in to a much greater extent.

Gordon, do you have a torque curve of your 302's with mapped EFI?
thanks
Rob

cool.gif

The torque curver is very smooth. Peak torque on the high rev 306 is 382lb. The peak hp at 476@7500 and only drops 15hp if you rev it to 8000. this is a very special little engine, and it does run on pump premium.
We are finishing up a race 306 that will have over 700hp, 425lbs or torque, and can be shifted at 10,000 revs.

Rob,
I think you should go and talk to Robert
at Roaring forties. He has a couple of
Gordon's engines. I think you will get a
resounding comment of WOW ! I have talked to
several Levy Racing customers and they all
couldn't be happier with the engines they have. Gordon truly has the ability to make
a purpose built engine for the right
application. It's important to have the right
engine that fits your gear ratios. Gordon is
one of the few that does this well. I think
he understands cams and head combos better
than most. He also backs up what he builds
by testing his ideas on the track.
If I decide not to build my own engine
then Gordon will surely be the one to get
the nod.

Hersh
smile.gif

G

Mike,
I got your name wrong on my last post on the 302. (wayne instead of mike)
Have you heard that the 302 would not be produced, other than on this forum?.

G

Gentleman,

Aftermarket 302s should be around from Ford for a long time yet. Production of the last OHV Windsor vehicles ended sometime back. But as far as crate and aftermarket support, I dont forsee the day when Ford does away with the 302 aftermarket. Support for the 5.0 is a huge part of Ford Motorsports, take a look at the number of 5.0 mustangs on the streets and in bracket racing. I believe the 5.8 does not fit under the stock hood of a mustang(?). GM has not produced the 350 or 454 in several years but they have more crate motors available now than they did 10 years ago.

If you want to see Fords current selection of aftermarket motors visit.
http://www.thefordsource.com/store/motorsports/engines.htm

Ford Motorsports Happy Motoring,

Matt

G

Ford has discontinued the 302 crate motors? Which motor? the GT-40 320 Hp? I called Downs Ford at Toms River NJ, they will ship a GT-40 crate motor part # M-6007-B50 to my door for $3095, It may not be 700hp but then again 320hp will move a 2500lb car with more than enough authority for local law enforcement.

Can somebody clarify what motor is discontinued? Ford still has gt40 crate motors from 270hp-345hp available. Are they being phased out? There will be alot of PO fox body mustang owners. Does Blue Oval News have an article or memo on this?

Malcolm

G

Hi,

Is this the standard pricing for this engine, or did they give you a little break?

What's their phone number?

thanks,

G

Phone # 732-349-2240 Motorsports dept.
Shipping will depend where you are at.

Malcolm

G

Wayne,
Let me know if you decide to buy the ford crate motor?. Lets get the word out on ford 302 motors.

Back