Should Ford Build the New GT40?

MWGT40

Supporter
Should Ford build the new GT40? Answers on a postcard please......

My view on this is that they should NOT. Why? Not because I don't like it, that's for sure. With its retro styling I think it looks great, much better than the first concept car they produced when they talked of bringing the GT40 back. In fact, I would even consider buying one alongside my existing GTD40 (which I would also keep).

So why wouldn't I bring it back? Simple. The GT40 was - no, I should say is, a motor racing legend. It could not have been more successful than it was in its day. And this in a nutshell is the problem for Ford. No matter how good the new car is, it is never going to be so utterly dominant as the original was - and so there is only one way for its reputation to go and that is down. Unless of course Ford can afford to do what they did in the sixties and throw money at it, which of course they can't looking at their current financial situation.

This is particularly the case as a new generation grow up who are unaware of the original GT40 and form all their opinions based on a new car.

So Ford, if you want to maintain the legend, do not put the car into production. It is enough that you have whetted everyone's appetite for the car again. If you do decide to make it though, put me on the list!

Martin

G

Martin

Ford is NOT interested in generating interest
in the original GT40s.

They are trying to polish the company's
tarnished image, and the quickest way to do that is to create an "image builder"
like Chrysler did with the Viper and Prowler
(now cancelled).

They don't care if they sell 50 or 100 or 1000, since all will be sold at a loss when
you consider the investment costs.
They only care how much it boosts Ford's
IMAGE in the eye of the press and public.

In fact the car doesn't even have to be raced
since they can simply rehash all the old wins of the original car.

I think Ford is desperate enough right now
to build it!

MikeD

Is it coincidental that Ford unveiled the "resurrected" GT40 at the same time it was canceling 4 product lines, closing 5 plants, and laying off 35,000 workers?

Ford was trying to divert attention away from it's restructuring with the unveiling. Don't look to see that car ever in production.

Bill D

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Agree with this last. Blue Oval Bill as flim-flam man. They could probably sell a few and recoup some of their investment but overall I don't think it will generate much prestige. Has the Viper generated any for Dodge? Not all that much, in spite of racing etc.
I think all this is more a sign of a company that's kind of lost its' way and trying to figure out which direction to go in. They would be better off just making their production cars to a higher standard, than haring off in the direction of limited-appeal, low-production items that will be around one day and gone the next. I have seen exactly ONE Tbird, the new one, on the road. ONE.

G

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I guess I'll be the lone desenting voice here....I say build it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I am with you.

I say build it !
Ford is good at dangling a beautiful design
in front of you then doing something
completely different for production.
I think the price they estimated reflects
the difference in how much more difficult
this cars is to build than a Viper or a
ZO6. It's almost the same difference as a
GT40 kit and a Cobra kit percentage wise.
The more GT40s the more events there will
be to enjoy.

Hersh
smile.gif

Back